Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Eldouble

Doni Marie... My wife is really mad at you. Its all your fault that I just ordered two Picassos for myself. :) :) :) They do look really neat.

BarbMazz

Doni, I haven't posted here in your thread much but I'm reading and keeping up on "MY" babies everyday. I can see you're training them well, and keeping them away from the Bad Clowns. lol

I'm purchasing a 24g JBJ Nano Cube... do you think this is a big enough tank to use for a clown/RBTA/GBTA anemone tank? Of course, the clowns would be in there WAY before the anemone would. Before I commit to making this theme tank I want to make sure it would be suitable for these very special babies. Would a 29g be better? I'm sure I could still change the order.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
lol. I am impressed - answering a question in a post I placed on reefcentral....... As you can see, I am reading, reading reading and getting ready. I am really excited. I will put the sponge in the sump tonight.
Good luck Sandy! Please do keep us posted and even start a breeding chronicle so we can all follow your progress :)

wwwwwwwwooooooooaaaaaa!!!!!!!
They are growing soo fast! nice camara.

Thanks! They are growing very quickly. I'll post some new photos today...

We'll wait for pics Doni!

It won't be much longer now....

Doni Marie... My wife is really mad at you. Its all your fault that I just ordered two Picassos for myself. :) :) :) They do look really neat.

LOL~ Congrats on your purchase :thumbup:

Doni, I haven't posted here in your thread much but I'm reading and keeping up on "MY" babies everyday. I can see you're training them well, and keeping them away from the Bad Clowns. lol

I'm purchasing a 24g JBJ Nano Cube... do you think this is a big enough tank to use for a clown/RBTA/GBTA anemone tank? Of course, the clowns would be in there WAY before the anemone would. Before I commit to making this theme tank I want to make sure it would be suitable for these very special babies. Would a 29g be better? I'm sure I could still change the order.

Your babies are doing very well Barb :) I read to them every night and have taught them to clean up their messes :D
....and 'bad' clowns are not to be found. A daily reminder of the promise to ban any naughty clown to a sump keeps them in line :turntable

If you have room & extra $$, go for the 29 gal. Thatwill make a great home for them!

Damnit Woodstock, you know baby clownfish photos are like crack, now post them already lol.:doh: :wave:

Good luck Sandy! Please do keep us posted and even start a breeding chronicle so we can all follow your progress :)

Thanks! They are growing very quickly. I'll post some new photos today...

It won't be much longer now....

LOL~ Congrats on your purchase :thumbup:

Your babies are doing very well Barb :) I read to them every night and have taught them to clean up their messes :D
....and 'bad' clowns are not to be found. A daily reminder of the promise to ban any naughty clown to a sump keeps them in line :turntable

If you have room & extra $$, go for the 29 gal. Thatwill make a great home for them!

This is what happens at meal time with my wife.
ME: "Honey, can you make me a sandwidth?"
HER: "Get in there and make your own food you lazy sack o'.... " beat_dead_horse
ME: "Ok, but the Yellow Tang goes back to That Fish Place..."
HER: "What do you want on it?"

She loves the Yellow Tang. She picked him out. She thought it had passed the other night since is was stuck to my Koralia 3. He was alive just stuck in the vortex of doom it creats. I pulled him off. His fins are a little jacked up but a little mysis and veggies will fix him right up. :cry1:

Walmart had this phos t5 shop light... it was a 48 inch job. Do you think that would suffise to grow a culture. I wanna retrofit it into my closet

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Spawn#4 at 23 days old

Spawn#4 at 23 days old :)

Some have the beginnings of a second stripe. Most of the ones with the second stripe have settled to the bottom.

20080803Spawn4at23daysold1.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold5.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold6.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold7.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold8.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold2.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold3.jpg

20080803Spawn4at23daysold4.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Spawn #3 at 36 days old

Spawn #3 at 36 days old :)

Some are beginning to show black!
I am beginning to see a significant size difference between some of these. Some are 3x larger than others. Maybe the group that 'huddles' in the rear corner does not eat as much as the others do? I will make sure I feed the ones in the back corner better.

They are eating ground flake food and thawed cyclopeeze very well. I am still doing my daily (sometimes twice a day) vacuuming of the bottom and water changes.

20080803002.jpg

20080803016.jpg

20080803023.jpg

20080803013.jpg

20080803014.jpg

20080803017.jpg

20080803018.jpg

20080803019.jpg

20080803020.jpg

20080803021.jpg

20080803022.jpg

20080803025.jpg

20080803026.jpg

20080803027.jpg

20080803028.jpg

20080803029.jpg

20080803030.jpg

20080803031.jpg

20080803032.jpg

20080803035.jpg

More!!!

Sidenote, it looks like you have some bullies in the tank. I see what looks to be fin tears. Id raise the concentration or remove the offending fish. Just feel luck you arent raising maroons.

Jigsaw

wow Woody, they look great! They are quite blotchy, are they filling in any more? I see they turn grayish-white before they begin turning black, so cute!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
More!!!

Sidenote, it looks like you have some bullies in the tank. I see what looks to be fin tears. Id raise the concentration or remove the offending fish. Just feel luck you arent raising maroons.

I am working on getting my other 20 gallon tanks set up so I can begin to sort them by size but the growout system is taking a lot more time than I was expecting.

13 days beween spwans and the difference is reamarkable. My 18,000th post in this awesome thread to boot!;)

Congrats on your 18k posts~

wow Woody, they look great! They are quite blotchy, are they filling in any more? I see they turn grayish-white before they begin turning black, so cute!

Ohh yeah, they'll continue to develop white stipes for several months to come and the black will continue to develop until much later (1 year or longer). The grayish-white areas should turn white.

althea2you

awesome pics Doni!!!! they are growing so nicely! dont you have a spawn 5? i thought i read that back somewhere?!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
awesome pics Doni!!!! they are growing so nicely! dont you have a spawn 5? i thought i read that back somewhere?!

Hi Sarah. Yes, I have about 50 or so from spawn#5 (they already have their 1st head stripe) and Tuesday night I will be hatching out spawn#6.
Currently I have about 75 from spawn#3, 200 from spawn#4, 50 from spawn#5.

The low numbers from Spawn#3 & #5 are from the me pulling the eggs too early and the majority of the eggs turned white. I will pull #5 on the eighth day (instead of the 7th) and see if I have a larger hatch rate.

Fun, fun!

hey is there still room for me to get dibs on the picassos pm please thanks Jeff they look very nice

Hi Jeff. I will add you to the list. :)