"real" wave maker?

lbiminiblue

I was thinking about wave makers and all those powerheads, and i was wondering if there are any "real" wave makers. By this i mean an arm that pushes back and forth creating whole-tank waves. I was thinking it would be a cool little DIY, but i think this would work best in a big tank that can afford the space one of these would need. I realize powerheads have wave modes, but i didn't see in the videos the real wave effect that an arm would give. IS there anything like this out in the market? Thanks.

Do keep structural integrity of the tank in mind. Moving weight back and forth can put pressure on the silicon and the cabinet.

Willie McDaries

you're talking about something like this maybe ?

[video=youtube;3VbJn_-i6Y4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbJn_-i6Y4[/video]

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
On a previous tank I was going to make a "Wave Box". I wanted something that would fill via a pump and then when it got full DUMP the box contents into the tank. It was going to take too much space, work and for no more "results" than a high end powerhead on WAVE mode.

FWIW when I get the it tuned just right my Vortech MP10 produces a very similar wave as the video.

lbiminiblue

On a previous tank I was going to make a "Wave Box". I wanted something that would fill via a pump and then when it got full DUMP the box contents into the tank. It was going to take too much space, work and for no more "results" than a high end powerhead on WAVE mode.

FWIW when I get the it tuned just right my Vortech MP10 produces a very similar wave as the video.
Ok i thought it might be a problem...you need a really big tank for that...thanks!

PIMPALA

My MP40s will cause waves so big, that they literally splash the water out of the tank. If that's not a "real wave" I don't know what is. lol

lbiminiblue

My MP40s will cause waves so big, that they literally splash the water out of the tank. If that's not a "real wave" I don't know what is. lol

I see what you mean...but I mean something that's not so much sloshing but more like a wave passing by every now and then, it would have to make a wave only after the original one dissipates.

PIMPALA

then a dump box like described earlier would be your best bet. people have been doing that for years. small pump, going to a bucket on a hinge. when it fills up, it dumps the contents into the tank.

be prepared for massive salt creep/spray everywhere, and constantly having microbubbles and debris in your water column.