Ready to start adding the Cleaners, ect. HELP

LiVEWiRE

well I have posted for awhile in the meet and greet forum and thought I should move to here now. I have a nice setup now 40 gallon breeder tank with 10 gallon sump, 175 watt 15000 metal halide, about a 2-2.5 gallon canister filled with just carbon. 80 lbs of live sand and 65 lbs of live rock. along with some other things.

My tank now is just about through the 2nd cycle and close to being ready to add things. I would like to start with the basic the cleaning crew and go from there. keep in mind this is a reef setup. Maybe 4 -6 small fish at the most. So what should I add to the tank? what type of snails, crabs, etc.

lcstorc

That is very much a matter of opinion. Some people like crabs, others do not.
Personally my cleanup crews consist of a variety of snails and conchs. Also a sand sifting fish or two get a little more movement.

framerguy

I like snails for the majority of the cleaning duties. For your size tank you will need 8-13 snails, so my recommendation would be 7 cerith, 4 trochus, and either 1 nerite or 1 fighting conch. Serpent stars, red or yellow (with smooth limbs, not bristly) would also be beneficial. Choose small ones and get 2 or 3. I might add that I would add these #'s gradually as you see your tanks need it. You don't want to load the tank with a clean up crew and see them starve because there's not enough food to go around.

Start with 4 cerith and 2 trochus and 1 serpent, then add the rest once you need them.

lcstorc

I would skip the stars. They get large and hungry and I now have to target feed mine instead of it being part of the cleanup crew. JMO

framerguy

I would skip the stars. They get large and hungry and I now have to target feed mine instead of it being part of the cleanup crew. JMO
I felt that way, and still do to a degree. That's why I say keep them small, but they can get to remote areas in the LR that nothing else can get to. Once they get too large, trade them to the LFS for smaller ones. I have two in my fuge that got too big and went after some fish, they do well in there.

MFSullivan

Don't overlook the shrimpies....

I have a small cleaner, big fire and 3 small peppermints running around and they keep the sand bed free of garbage. The peppermints also wiped out any aiptasia that showed up. The Fire shrimp is absolutely beautiful.

They're totally peaceful and make keep the place looking lively. (especially when food goes in and everthing goes bonkers)

LiVEWiRE

alright well because my nitrate is still going up and down I started today with 10 cerith snails I believe. I got them for 10 for $10 but I got one that is cone shaped with tiny dots on it and it moves very very slow like up then down and up then down and makes a grove in the sand bed. Any suggestions on what that might be. I also got 4 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs that are only about 1/2 to 3/4 in now.

Do I have to feed the hermits at the moment with all the things that are still left on my LR? Should I wait a week and see how their food supply looks? I figure I would give it a week and then get 3 peppermint shrimp and see how they do. My 4 hermits were only like $18.00 for all 4. The peppermint shrimp are about $8-$9 a piece so I wanted to let the tank go another week And then I will add the FIRE shrimp at about $25 a piece. but only 1 or 2 I will let you know when I add them. So any more suggestions?

cracker

Take it slow my friend. I think the snails & hermits are fairly tough but I think the shrimps are more touchy to changes in water parameters.

framerguy

can you post a pic of the snail in question. From the description it IS a cerith snail (cone shape with tiny dots). They should all look like that.

Keep a close eye on the bluelegs, they have a rep for eating snails and stealing shells.

Shrimp are very sensitive to abrupt changes in water parameters so a very long drip acclimation is necessary. That is also true for snails and crabs so they should be acclimated the same way.

Kudos on the low #'s of animals. Most folks way overpopulate with snails and crabs then they starve down to the managable #.

LiVEWiRE

Here are the snails that I have in my tank. I have 9 of the round ones like the one on the rock and just one of the cone shaped ones that is on the left. So what kind of snails are they?
snails.jpg
[/IMG]

snail_2.jpg

snail_1.jpg

snail_3.jpg

framerguy

Photo 1 (left) and photo 2 are cerith. Photo 1(right), 3, and 4 look like margarita snails but I can't make a positive ID from these pics. They are not cerith though.

LiVEWiRE

I know I have to get a better camera. It does not like close ups. But yes you are correct the 9 other snails I have are Margarita Snails. I looked them up after you posted and viola thats what I have. I see that they do well with Red Foot Snails and they look nice. Anyone have the Red Foot Snail in their tank. Oh and thank you framerguy for letting me know what they were.

framerguy

Glad to help! Margaritas generally like their water temp on the cooler end of the thermometer and will slowly cook if exposed to higher temps. Stay around 74F and they should do well.