rckmtl's new-ish 20gal

rckmtl

So this is not really a new tank, but I've changed so much stuff around over the last month that I figured I'd start the thread over as well.

While i had been getting a litttle unhappy with the tank's layout, the biggest catalyst to the change was an invasion of Apista's. I had hundred's and they were irritating my corals like crazy. Got so fed up that I took out all the rock, chipped off the big ones, and then soaked it in really cold freshwater for about 4hours.

I had tried other methods previous to this, which you can read about in the Die, Apiasta, Die! thread that I will post next.

Supprisingly most of the coralline algea survived! all the green, and marroon stuff seems fine. Some of the bright purple died off, but it is swiftly becoming re-established. Also, most of the mini feather-dusters and small clams lived. I was supprised. I figured the cold temp would kill them even if the freshwater did not.

About 2/3rd's of the Apiastas died off. I've been slowly erradicating the rest with joe's juice.

So here are some before and after pics, and my new stats

The tank before the new layout
1806salt1.JPG

New layout, front shot
5dl8w0

New layout, angled shot so you can see the landscaping better
5dl6z7

I prefer the new layout a lot. Before, the calpurea would overgrow the tank once a month, that pic was taken right after harvesting like 3/4's of it. I also didnot have any good spots for new corals and the whole right side was too dark.

Now I have lots of spaces for corals. I had to frag my green Sinularia and my pom-pom xenia due to stress from the apiastas. They are currently growing out in the prop tank and will be returned to this one when they are ready. Other then that i want the green star polyps to overgrow the left hand rock cluster, and to get enough orange and blue ric's to put a bunch on the center rock.

Thanks for reading my long post, I hope you found it interesting!

Tank Stats:
20gal long
live rock
3inch sand bed
220watts pc lighting 1/2 10k, 1/2 actinic
small internal filter, with no media, just for water cir.

1 green clown goby
1 yellow clown goby
1 pseudochromis/ strawberry basselet

green florida ricordea
symphillia brain
green star polys
mushroom polym
couple a zo's
pavona frags
purple gorgongia
dipolestrea that will hopefully recover

buncha snails, a few crabs, pep. shrimp, and 2 brittle starfish

Gina

RS STAFF
I have to agree, the second layout is much nicer! Good job getting things in control!

rckmtl

Woodstock said:
Nice Ellen!! Is that a purple gorgonian in the back? Wow, it's large!

Yep, that's what it is. It is pretty big, 'specially for my tank. i have to keep it leaned over a bit so It doesn't stick out of the water. The branches are starting to fuse together in some areas because of overlap.

Gina said:
I have to agree, the second layout is much nicer! Good job getting things in control!

Thanks Gina! Control is definatlly the right word. Now I actually have some!