RBTA v.s. MP40 Vortech

fishhead

Does anyone else put the mesh over their MP40 at night in fear of an anemone going towards it and...well...you know?

My RBTA has stayed on the rock I set it on when I got it. It seems to be happy there, but I still don't trust it. Also, it seems that the MP40 makes such nice pulsing current, that if it did try to move it would not be a a simple task. In still tanks I think they must move more.

Furthermore, everything seems dandy, except the anemone has turned orange from it's original pink. Can't figure out why. I did change my lighting today thinking that the 420nm T5 might be doing it. When I replaced it with a royal Blue 460, I also noticed one of the 10kK T5's was not lit. I turned it a bit and it fired back up. So now I am running (on a 4 foot 65 gal, sump on the way) 4 x 54W T5: 2 X 10kK and 2 X 460nm, 2 X 36W 20kK LED Spots, Vortech and chiller. Specs are good.

Any input on the orange-ing?
THANKS!

fishhead

I fed it a scallop (1/3) 1 week after I got it. The LFS just fed it light ands it looked great. It was no doubt hungry. May I ask how often you feed one(BTA)?

reefer gladness

The lighting looks very different in the before/after vids, don't think that's a fair basis of comparison. Regardless the nem looks healthy and not only will corals and nems look different depending on the light they are under they may also morph colors to an extent to take advantage of the available light spectrum.

I feed my nems a big piece of silverside once per month if they're lucky, at this point I can tell when they're hungry by looking at them. Most folks feed a little more frequently but it's usually not necessary. Never feed more than once per week and if the piece of food is too large the nem may spit it back up.

I have 6 fairly large RBTA's in a 58g with MP-10's at either end. The nems get plenty of flow where they are and don't try to get any closer to the MP-10's but I would definitely put a sock over the pump if you feel it's getting too close.

reefer gladness

WSorry, but what would you say is the best temp for them?

Stability is the main thing, try to minimize temp swings. In the warm months my tank runs between 77.5-79.0F and the winter months it stays at 77.5F. You could run a little cooler in the 76-78 range if that makes it easier to keep temps stable in your area.

Joeys Tank

I leave the black mesh/sponge on my MP40s to prevent livestock from getting pulled in. Every couple of days, while feeding the tank, I like to rinse out the sponges. Judging by the amount of organic matter I wash out of them, the added filtration benefit is a good thing.