Rare, blue coral found

steved13

PREMIUM
MOST hard corals in Fiji and the world are colourful on the outside but when cracked open or broken, will reveal a white skeleton.
One of the exceptions to this is the blue coral (scientific name: Heliopora coerulea), which has a blue skeleton inside, made of aragonite and iron salts which gives it its blue pigmentation.

Read more about it here:

Rare, blue coral found - Fiji Times Online

200624.jpg

DaveK

Years ago in the BR (Before Reefs) era, blue coral was highly desirable because the coral skeleton was blue rather than white, like most other pieces of dead coral then being used as decorations.

However, I don't think that blue coral came from Fiji.

You still once and awhile see a piece of blue coral being sold in an LFS or a shell shop, although it seems to me to be a waste of a natural resource to sell coral skeletons in this day and age.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
DaveK said:
Years ago in the BR (Before Reefs) era, blue coral was highly desirable because the coral skeleton was blue rather than white, like most other pieces of dead coral then being used as decorations.

However, I don't think that blue coral came from Fiji.

You still once and awhile see a piece of blue coral being sold in an LFS or a shell shop, although it seems to me to be a waste of a natural resource to sell coral skeletons in this day and age.

I agree. I distinctly remember having blue, fan like dead coral in my stepfather's tank years and years ago... You don't ever see it anymore. But I never knew it was "rare"...

...."Fish" Happens!....

seafansar

I remember when a guy tried to sell me some of that. Said "the inside is blue!" I'm like "but the outside is brown!" lol. I think he was trying pretty darn hard to sell that coral.

catran

No, I'm glad there's a very diverse selection of corals in the ocean, and this one is there, but unless you break it, you can't enjoy the color. It will probably encrust back up if you do. But, I'm sure there's a ton of corals we didn't know exist, and I'm glad to learn about them when they're discovered, but don't know if I want them in my tank.

I love reefers...