Raising Specific Gravity

Cheryl

Question on Raising Specific Gravity

HELLOOOOOO fellow reefers! I have certainly missed chatting with you all! The holidays make it nutso to keep a schedule!

Now, for my question. I was (though not as bad) having issues with my toadstool. It seems to be doing a bit better but I read that I should raise the specific gravity to 1.025. It is currently at 1.021 as recommended by the LFS. If this true, can anyone give suggestions as to how I could raise this without much trouble or shock to the residents of the tank? I need a good balance for the fish and coral.

Thanks again....

Cheryl,

Lots of LFS keep SG rather low. I believe this is mainly due to the high turnover of fish coming in and out and it also saves them money. The ideal reef SG is 1.026 at 80 degrees. I think you will find that most reef aquarists keep their SG at 1.025 or 1.026. The simplest way to slowly raise your SG would be to top off your evaporated water with saltwater (or a combination of regular top off water and saltwater) to bring it to your desired level.

Craig

Cheryl

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the advice. Should I top it off with a higher SG than normal? Like 1.025 or higher?

Cheryl

Witfull

top off water is normally salt-free water...but you can add some salt to it to raise SG. or when doing waterchanges....increase salinity a tad...say mix your water to 1.023 if doing a 10% change on a 55g tank....you can also mix some salt into a pitcher of water and add it slowly to the tank...

best to raise SG one point every few days....1.022 sunday....1.023 tuesday....1.024 thursday....1.025 friday.

Cheryl, If you already have saltwater mixed, you could use it rather than mixing a new batch at 1.026. If you have to make a new batch, might as well go with 1.026. The key is to raise it slowly. You are going to raise it quite a bit from the current level so do it over a number of days. Depending on tank size and your rate of evaporation you might want to add the saltwater in smaller amounts 2 or 3 times each day, and take a reading an hour later. I'm sure it will work out fine, and good luck.

Witfull

reefs are averagely at 1.026 around the world. so yes,,,every one will benefit from this~