R/O vs Distilled

sambrinar

Ok question, we found a distiller for a pretty good price. it is claiming that it makes "pure" water, "better than r/o" I don't have a hook up under the sink that i can tap the r/o to. Old house. All plumbing is in the wall. Would a distiller (that had no copper material inside) be OK to use??

Says it can make up to 4 gal of water a day, which would be fine for topoff and water change water.

Currently I am buying distilled water at walmart, and/or bashas' groshery store (no LFS within 120 miles) for water changes and topoff. Is the convience of R/O just the amout of water produced??

Thanks

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
it is claiming that it makes "pure" water, "better than r/o"

It may and it may not, as it can depend on the source water and the type of distiller it is. Have a link or any data info.

sambrinar

it is claiming that it makes "pure" water, "better than r/o"

It may and it may not, as it can depend on the source water and the type of distiller it is. Have a link or any data info.

that is just it, didn't give a lot of info. here is the link.... this is the comparasions. I parused through the site, not convinced, that is why I am here :D source of water is tap. we have city water, not too bad

this one had the claim on it...
Water Purification Systems Compared - Pure Water, Inc.

there is also one that is the counter top make 4 gal a day the link....

(120V US Voltage)Countertop Water Distiller

Water Purification and Water Distillation The Facts - H2oLabs for the PUREST water possible

Thanks for checking

Boomer

Well, I don't think much of their website. There is no data there. There is single, double or triple stage DW. I found nothing on what the TDS was of the finished water.

I can't get an ro/di, no way to hook it up

Sorry, I can't buy that :) There has to be a valve somewhere in the house that shuts-off the incoming water to the house. If a water line was to leak or break inside your house how is one going to shut it off and fix it if there is no shut-off value ? Call the City water department and have them shut down the whole city water supply, just to fix you leak :) You shut-off that line and then "T" the RO/DI into it.

Well, I don't think much of their website. There is no data there. There is single, double or triple stage DW. I found nothing on what the TDS was of the finished water.

I can't get an ro/di, no way to hook it up

Sorry, I can't buy that :) There has to be a valve somewhere in the house that shuts-off the incoming water to the house. If a water line was to leak or break inside your house how is one going to shut it off and fix it if there is no shut-off value ? Call the City water department and have them shut down the whole city water supply, just to fix you leak :) You shut-off that line and then "T" the RO/DI into it.

They also make fittings that go on the end of your faucet for hooking up an RO filter to.

sambrinar

They also make fittings that go on the end of your faucet for hooking up an RO filter to.

that i would be interested in. the faucet come out of the wall, here's a pict. In order to shut off the water it is out side in the yard. might be able to something in the bathroom though. here is the faucet in the kitchen.....

Kitchen sink (comes out of wall)... dupont filter on faucet sink looks dirty, sorry old, need to replace tile
Saltwatertank001.jpg

Under kitchen sink (nothing but the drain)....
Saltwatertank003-1.jpg

Bathroom sink (don't mind the dust (wow really illuminates with camera), comes out of wall) only one bathroom....
Saltwatertank004.jpg

This is why we were researching distilled water things.... any suggestions?? Would be appreciated.

Witfull

the only good thing distilled is,,,,,,

wait for it......

you all know the answer......

alcohol!!!!!!!

SubRosa

As long as you are able to access a couple inches of exposed cold water pipe all you need is an icemaker installation kit available from any hardware store.You clamp on the saddle valve, close the valve fully to pierce the pipe attach your R/O unit's feed line to the valve and open it.You can open and close the saddle as needed but it's better to install a shutoff valve on the feed line.They're also available at any HD or Lowes.

John

SubRosa

Hey Dave if you ever make it out I can show you MY still!Apparently you have some appreciation for such things!

John

Witfull

john,,,PM me~ and PayPal some gas money~,,LOL

we need to hook up again,,,i enjoyed BSing with ya....ReefWidow kept herself occupied at the meat market (food stuff you with wicked minds). its just summer time logistics.....late sept im going back to Vampire mode so day trips will be easier.

sambrinar

As long as you are able to access a couple inches of exposed cold water pipe all you need is an icemaker installation kit available from any hardware store.You clamp on the saddle valve, close the valve fully to pierce the pipe attach your R/O unit's feed line to the valve and open it.You can open and close the saddle as needed but it's better to install a shutoff valve on the feed line.They're also available at any HD or Lowes.

John

Hmmm thanks I'll show this to my hubby and see what he thinks, thanks.

sambrinar

Ok the only pipe that is visible to the kitchen sink is in the picture, so again back to the original problem and question. what distiller would you recommend if any.

remember no LFS within 100 miles, so I can't use their water. which is why we were checking out distillers.
picts of sink again to remind....
Saltwatertank002.jpg

lcstorc

Not sure if this would work for you but I have my RO/DI in the garage feeding off of the cold water into the washing machine. We just put a y on the pipe coming out of the wall and one pipe goes to the washer and the other to the RO/DI. I was afraid it would cause issues if both were running at the same time but I have not noticed one. The Y does have valves on both sides so if you were worried about it you could turn the RO valve off while doing the wash.
I have mine feed into 65 gallon containers but there is no reason why you couldn't use any size container that suits your needs.

Boomer

GREAT idea Lynn, that is the way to think outside the box......washing machine......... :)