QuietOne 4000 - Junk?

ChrisOaty

Ok, so I wanted to increase the flow through my sump so that the overflow can be split between my ATS and the rest of my sump. I also wanted a quieter, more powerful pump as my current one is old and vibrates quite a bit. I figured with a QuietOne 4000 rated for almost 1000gph, I would get at least 750ish gph in the display, also allowing me to remove my circulation pumps. Stoked, right? No. After plumbing for a couple hours and finally turning it on, it rattled like crazy. Knowing that it may just need time to settle/break in, I left it over night. No dice. Is this normal? It has a standard hum which, when I try isolatin, is quieter than my old pump, but it also has a horrible rattle to it. So this morning I pulled it out and took it apart to see if maybe the impeller was broken. Everything inside looks ship-shape. Here's a crappy iPhone video. It really only catches the racket a few times for some reason, but it's consistent. I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow but for now I thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has had the same experience with a similar or same pump. It's much worse inside of my stand too. I know it's not the plumbing because when hooked up, the pump hangs from the pvc. The pvc is sheathed in an insulating foam to reduce vibration from the pump and heat loss/gain to the air. So the pipe never touches wood. Everything stays pretty flexible as I can move the pipes around with a finger as it "squishes" around in its anchors.

Quietone 4000 not so quiet. - YouTube

Photo28.jpg

Advice? Am I being picky? A humming would be normal. A really loud humming would be a cheap/old pump. A buzzing/rattling sound, I cannot categorize as normal for any new pump.

immerume2

Didn't sound bad on the video. Only time it made much noise is when u had it suck air from the surface.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ive had lots of Quiet one pumps and they are silent, if you hard plumbed the pump you will get vibration travel on the pipe, if its clacking thats usually the impeller traveling too much on the shaft, make sure the ceramic spacer bearings are there

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like the propeller is traveling to much like Sas said. Maybe they can send you a replacement one and try it.

ChrisOaty

Immerume2 - The video was taken on an iPhone and my brother didn't point the mic at the water. There's obviously still vibration when hooked up to the plumbing, but the problem is the 'clacking' sound that Sas mentioned. I took the pump apart again and there's only 2 parts to it: the ceramic shaft with a hex head that fits into the cap, and the impeller assembly. I've taken other cheaper pumps apart before and there's normally a free-spinning washer of some sort somewhere in the assembly. Although I couldn't see one of these, I don't think there's much room for one. When the pump's all put together the impeller does wiggle around a bit. Do these pics look like something's missing?

Photo28.jpg
Photo31.jpg
Photo32.jpg
Photo29.jpg
Photo33.jpg
Photo30.jpg

Last edited:

Luukosian

Can't see your pictures on that last post but just thought I'd chime in and say I ran a quiteone 3000 on the old tank for years and never had any issues. Cleaned it about once every 6 months just for preventative maintenance but that's about it. May be just an issue with the impeller like they said above.

Using it for quick water changes now and it's still moving water like the day I bought it, it makes some noise but any pump is going to make a little. Can't really tell from your video but that sounds about right...it's gunna vibrate unless you put it with the rubber feet down....put a sponge under it if you're still getting vibrations and see what that does.

Anything that moves 1000 gallons of water per hour is gunna make some noise, nature of the beast I guess.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
they are a funny pump, great for flow but not pressure, head eats gallonage really fast and undersize pipe is worse, they run hot and the bigger ones use stupid amounts of electric

If your looking for a return pump under pressure to use as flow from the sump to DT, you got the wrong pump. You'll need one of the bigger external pumps if your going to squeeze them down in pcv size to use as a return also. Queit One, I run it myself, for my sump. Cant' hear a thing from it. But its just a 1" return line going up 4', not restriced at all.

ChrisOaty

Maybe that's my problem, pipe resistance. I've got the water coming up about 1.5 feet then a 90 deg, another foot across, then another 90 degree, then 2.5 feet up to another 1" to 3/4" 90 degree. Then the water is split from a 3/4" to two 1/2" lines going to the left and right of the tank, each getting another 2 90 degree elbows.
Plumbing.jpg

Suggestions? Maybe throw in some sort of flexible something in there?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
maybe test it with just tube to reduce the resistance.....it might be the pressure creating a problem versus anything wrong with the pump. 90 degree elbows are tough on a pump. I have one on my mag12 and feel that it hurts it more than i would like.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
PSU4ME said:
maybe test it with just tube to reduce the resistance.....it might be the pressure creating a problem versus anything wrong with the pump. 90 degree elbows are tough on a pump. I have one on my mag12 and feel that it hurts it more than i would like.

+1
Tube it up to the T off. Should take A LOT of resistance off...

...."Fish" Happens!....

ChrisOaty

Yeah, I know my plumbing is restrictive. I'd rather use some sort of flexible tube but the clear plastic stuff at 1" is not flexible at all. Also, I know it didn't sound like it from my video, (maybe I'll try making another one) but the pump is just as noisy without the plumbing attached. Being housed inside of the cabinet just makes it louder because it's enclosed.

DaveK

Yes, you do have a lot of L's and a T in there. each L causes wuite a reduction in flow. As recommended by sk8rdn, plumb it to the T using flexable material. What you want to use here is what is know as flexable PVC pipe. It's also known as spa-flex since it's used a lot in building spas and hot tubs. You may have to order it online. I've seldom seen it at places like Home Depot.

Flexable PVC pipe is clues up just like normal rigid pipe, but you might want to use a glue that is especially nade for it. This is a much better solution than useing clear PVC tubing and hose barbs. Hose barbs restrict flow quite a bit.

While we are on the subject, be sure that you have some method in this system to preven backflow when the power to the pump stops. Usually a 1/4" hole in the pipe, just below the water level in the tank, on each return, will solve the problem. I'm not a big fan of check valves, becauce in a reef system then always seem to get clogged up and don't seal correctly if the water flow stops.

Since your pumping water back up to the tank and then going way below the surface, you might want to consider a for real pressure rated pump. It will preform a lot better that the glorified power head pumps in this application.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Immerume2 - The video was taken on an iPhone and my brother didn't point the mic at the water. There's obviously still vibration when hooked up to the plumbing, but the problem is the 'clacking' sound that Sas mentioned. I took the pump apart again and there's only 2 parts to it: the ceramic shaft with a hex head that fits into the cap, and the impeller assembly. I've taken other cheaper pumps apart before and there's normally a free-spinning washer of some sort somewhere in the assembly. Although I couldn't see one of these, I don't think there's much room for one. When the pump's all put together the impeller does wiggle around a bit. Do these pics look like something's missing?

Photo28.jpg
Photo31.jpg
Photo32.jpg
Photo29.jpg
Photo33.jpg
Photo30.jpg

only thing I dont see is the rubber teat that goes in the pump body is it still in there? it just holds the shaft and stops it from clacking lol

mcarroll

+1 to almost all of the plumbing advice given so far!

...now my $0.02. :read:

Concerning The Flow
To start with, unless your tank rim is only about 3.5 feet above the pump, there's no way you can expect 750gph from this pump - certainly not after that circuitous plumbing route and ensuing reduction to 1/2" PVC. ;) It's rated for 500-600 gph at typical medium sized aquarium heights - before accounting for plumbing inefficiencies. A QO5000 should get you into the 900-1000 gph range, which might net you 700 gph or so after plumbing. Not sure how big your system is, but for reference a 4000 is supplying plenty of flow for filtration for my 100 gallon system and that's 50% (or so) of the return to each display. (Tunze nanostreams provide flow in the displays.) YMMV of course. ;)

Concerning The Plumbing
In most cases I like hard PVC or corrugated tubing for drains and vinyl for returns.

I would highly recommend at least bridging the pump to the straight run up the back of the tank with vinyl tubing - eliminate as many elbows as possible with long, sweeping curves. Also eliminate the 1/2" plumbing altogether.

Also, upgrade to 1" insert fittings and tubing for best performance. Your pump comes with 1" Thread-to-3/4" Insert fittings for the input and output. 1" can be challenging to work with as you note (as well as a little pricey). Make the tubing's "built-in" curve work for you if at all possible - cut it and use an insert-to-insert fitting to connect the pieces back together in the necessary orientation if required. Make one curve of tubing per existing PVC elbow, in essence. Soaking in very hot water will temporarily make vinyl tubing a lot more pliable - helpful during assembly sometimes.

Short of converting to tubing, try replumbing your hard PVC design using two 45º's, or sweeping 90º's, in place of your existing 90º elbows. This will reduce the added back pressure significantly, if not completely as tubing could. I don't like Flex PVC, FWIW. Unless you're dealing with a scenario where you're above 1" tubing, I would stick with vinyl tubing. (Sometimes even above 1" I'd choose vinyl.) Another reasonable option if you want to keep hard PVC and those wicked 90º's is to upsize your plumbing to 1.5". Use a 1"-to-1.5" bushing on the pump and re-do the same design you have, but in all-1.5" PVC.

Lastly, you can eliminate a whole 1 foot of head pressure by eliminating the tubes that descend into the display tank (and the associated back-pressure) and just return the water at the water surface - ideally with the openings slightly above water.

Concerning The Pump
Concerning Quiet One pumps, I've got to differ with some of the nay-sayers.

I've run a QO2200 for years as my original return when it was a ~50 gallon system. Upgraded to a QO4000 return when I added a 50 gallon display (2nd display) to the system and teed the return flow. 2200 ended up replacing the Mag7 that I had been using as my skimmer pump (AquaC Ev90) and I saved a lot of watts in the process.

While no pump is perfect for all scenarios, generally speaking these pumps are dead silent and strong. Unless you haves a very-abnormally tall tank, or have your sump in the basement, they should make a great solution in most scenarios. gph/watt, these are some of the best - and best priced - pumps around IMO.

To compare, a Water Blaster 3000 will deliver ~750gph@37 watts for $180 and a 2000 500gph@22 watts for $138. QO2200 will do 594gph@45 watts for $60 and it has more lift, comparable to... A Mag7 which will do 700gph@70 watts for $80. Similar with the higher flow models. (I like all of these pumps, FWIW...Mag's are very tough in dirty/rough conditions, Blasters are very efficient in heat-bound tanks....where possible I use QO's though.)

Concerning The Noise
The pump didn't start making noise until you positioned the pump so the drive unit (magnet) is above the impeller. A lot of pumps seem more susceptible to rattle a little in this orientation, likely due to a small bubble being caught in the impeller chamber. It should not make that noise when running normally - through the beginning of the vid it sounded pretty normal.

If this happens when it's running in a normal position...

Is there any chance there's detritus collected in the sump near where the pumps is? Tank water is used for lube, so a tiny grain of sand or bubble is all it can take to make a little rattle as the pump gets thrown off its rotation. How old is your 5000? Looks like an older model. More than a year old, at least - similar design to my 5+ year old 2200, in fact, as they've changed the housing and impeller design since then. I have sent my pumps in to Lifegard once for "preventive" servicing - worth the one-way shipping and minimal expense in parts (few bucks in by case) IMO if the pump has significant mileage on it from prior ownership. Even including shipping I think I was out less than $40 for two pumps and got a replacement impeller for the 2200 plus some o-ring lube and an extra impeller. (Lube and 2nd impeller were elective by me and probably represent half of that cost.) You still have your old return to use for a couple weeks right?

If you bought that 4000 new and have the receipt, you might just ask for a replacement pump from where you purchased it. Or, it's got a 3 year warranty so Lifegard will take care of you if necessary.

Hope this helps!
-Matt