Questions Galore,

sh1ppy

HI All Im going to ask a lot of questions and will give as much detail as possible.

1. I have just purchsed a Lobster who is a beauty although I didnt realise they dont like light. However when I got the bag home I notced A small Black Leaf looking thing in the botom of the bag I fished it out and Put it into the tank It has settled on the sand and opened Up. Its Dark in colour and has a few Purple lumps in the middle almost ball shape, When the light are out It then curs Up, Sorry I dont have pics but my small Digital camera wont focus on it, I think its a Mushroom. Do they Multiply, Are they easy to keep, Do they need feeding.

2. Water Flow, I today noticed a film starting to apear on the top of the tank this also had Green bubbles accumilating around the top edge of the tank, I imediatly adjusted all water flow to stire the top of the tank and raised my skimmer so that its taking in the top fflow of the tank, This seems to have sorted the problem but was it the right thing to do. Where is the best locations for water flow top middle bottom I only have a Juwel 120 tank which I think is 30 Gallon So how much water Flow do I need.

3. Crabs I have several Crabs which obviously shed there Outer Skin from time to time, Does this need to be CLeaned Up or can I relie on the fish to make the most out of this feast, Also I have noticed Some Pink Spot apearing on there shells is this a problem / Disease / Or Just Markings.

4. Hair Algea Obviously this can be a big problem, I recently bought a sea hair to help with such problems but he seems to leave the hair alone, This hair algea does not apear on all rocks only on 2 or 3 of them and vever gets longer than about 1cm Is it algea or plant growth as it doesnt seem to spread and the crabs hair dont really go near it.

5. Replacement Filters, How often should the sponge filters be cleaned and replaced, What is the best way to do this.

6. Gravel, Having had my gravel base for about 3 years now which is about 1 inch deep, It wasnt live gravel when bought but my LFS have said that after this amount of time it would now be live Is this correct. I have noticed that some areas of gravel can sometimes matt together I currently try to stir up the stones to break them up and then hover out does this mean that my gravel bed need replacing or can I scoop out and clean out of the tank , Boil or best way to clean.

I think thts it for the moment sorry for the bombardment f questions but it made sense to get them out there whilst I remembered.
All fish are looking heathy and happy And my Cirlique is looking amazing since the new light earlier this Year.

Ah Photograpy I would prefer to ask questions with Photos but what is the best way to do this.

Thanks All Hope I havent Board you.

JAson

rDr4g0n

1) mushrooms are pretty easy to keep. they dont need feeding, and rely more on lighting to survive. any decent lighting will keep them happy.

2) it may have just been protein buildup. your water surface should be broken anyways to avoid a film forming. also your skimmer should be receiving the surface water since that is where the dissolved proteins end up.

3) not sure about the crab sheds. if in doubt, take em out.

4) dunno bout the hair algae either

5) i clean my sponges weekly and replace my filters monthly, though i occasionally clean out the filter before replacing it.

6) gravel clumping could be cyano forming. you should watch your phosphates and nitrates to be sure not to give the cyano any food.

i could be wrong about any of these since im not a seasoned reefer, but i try :)

Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

I agree with John on all of the above...

About the hair algae though.. What are your nitrates and phosphates testing? And what do you mean by gravel? Is it crushed coral? If so this could be the cause of the algae. and also keep all filters and sponges cleaned weekly and changed monthly... All of your questions go hand in hand with the form of algae... Pump up the flow,, clean all filters and sponges weekly, make sure skimmer is working accurately.. And possibly add sand for a substrate.. Good luck

chicap29

4. I had the same problem with some green hair algea. I bought a blenny and with in a week it was all gone. He was the best suggestion I got from a fish store.