questions about my new Harlequin Shrimp

Jake9487

first off i was wondering what was the best kind of starfish to feed him/her?, next i would like to know if it gets along with other kinds of shrimp?, and last i would like to know i you can tell the difference between male and female?

lcstorc

Here is a thread about sexing them.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...discussion/19964-sexing-harlequin-shrimp.html
Most people seem to feed chocolate chip stars but I think that is just because they are inexpensive rather than the "favorite" food. They seem to eat them well anyway.
I have always heard that they exc;isively eat starfish so my guess is that the shrimp woud be ok, but wait till someone with experience verifies before you take my word on that one.
Hope that helps.
Oh and Woodstock has them so you might want to check out her chronicle. I know she has some great pics in there.

deaclauderdale

I feed mines with chocolates, sand sifter's and their favorite is linka. They are totally reef safe and have been heard to eat urchins as well although I am yet to witness this myself.

addict

I found that my Harlequins pretty much ate just about any starfish that I tossed in the tank... since they mainly eat the tube feet and not the actual body of the star, I don't think it matters too much.

But like was posted above, when left to their own accord in the wild, they prefer linkia, but in captivity Chocolate Chip's are a lot less expensive.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:hallo: Hi David :)

I feed my harlequin pair one chocolate chip star fish every 2-3 weeks. Mine consume the entire starfish and leave nothing behind but little white hard balls of poopie.