Questions about Flame Hawkfish

Clownboy

I will have a 24G reef tank and I really want a Flame Hawkfish. I was told not to put with Shrimp, but what about hermit crabs, 1 or 2 Percula Clown s and a Yellowtail damsel.

Please give me any iformation that you have and experiances would be great.

Thank you!

Tarasco

Hawkfish have decent sized territories, and can be somewhat aggressive. Although mine generally left crabs alone, I did see him go after one every once in a while. The fish you describe can probably hold their own as well. However, I would not recommend more than three of these fish in this size tank. Here's some reading for you:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/hcs3/index.php

daveat

thats alot of fish load! not all get along type fish either,
your talking about a
flame hawk(territorial) 4"
damsel(MEAN) 3"
and a percula or two, 3" each

10 inches of fish already plus two of them are aggressive???
don't do two percs for sure you would be at 13" fish in 24 gallons, you might be ok but i would do at least weekly water changes at 10%

Jerome

I have a 50 gallon tank with a flame hawk, assesor, a couple of chormis and false percula. The flame hawk dominates the the tank but leaves the other fish alone. I have two cleaner who have a station and he leaves them alone as well. He been in my tank for a long time with the other fish.

cburns32

Damn, that damsel is very territorial...if you put it in before all the other fish...he may think the tank is his...so when the flame hawk goes in they may...fight for territory i suggest getting rid of the damsel if your gonna put a flame hawk in...see if you local LFS wil take it off your hands