question regarding the quarentine tank

andy12265

Hey all, got a quick question...i am setting up my quarentine tank and i was just about to cycle it...can i use a frozen scallop instead of using a frozen shrimp?

Thanks

andy12265

Well as of right now, i am using a HOB marineland biowheel filter, powerhead, and some liverock but i may upgrade sometime in the future .

andy12265

Well, heres my dilemma...i have a 55 gallon aquarium with crushed coral substrate and an undergravel filter...i don't know why but my lfs employee suggested it....my nitrates are near impossible to maintain so i figure that they are feeding off of the CC and undergravel filter....i am setting up the quarentine so i can take my livestock and put it into there while i remove the CC and undergravel filter and set in a sand bed...im just goin to keep a little liverock in the quarentine for some hiding and filtration

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
As long as you are not going to medicate in the QT at this time, it would be a good idea to put some rock in there to speed up the cycling process. Do not put the fish in there until it is fully cycled. You can also use water from the display and some of the substrate to also speed up the cycling process in the QT. I am glad to see you are getting rid of the UG filter and crushed coral, you will have a much more stable tank once you are done.