question for Ca Rx users

TDEVIL

prow said:
yeah he puts it outside. i think he uses a air filter on it to. he also puts two plants/trees around his tank and throughout his house. he says it really helps with indoor CO2 issues. in theroy sounds good but not so sure how much that could actually help. lol, maybe its time to see what plants absorb what out of the atmosphere. find one that likes monoxide and one that dioxide then get one for ozone. geeeze, now we have to figure out how to make our homes reef compatible..:scram:

or we could just live in a greenhouse ;)

Jay

prow

TDEVIL said:
or we could just live in a greenhouse ;)

Jay
hummm, not a bad idea. right now over here in So.Cal is 4ish o'clock 86 degrees with a slight breeze clear skies, its doable.
how about out in Indiana.

TDEVIL

prow said:
hummm, not a bad idea. right now over here in So.Cal is 4ish o'clock 86 degrees with a slight breeze clear skies, its doable.
how about out in Indiana.

well, i think you would freeze, lol
actually it wasnt that bad today, upper 50's/lower 60's, 7:00pm right now and it is 51deg. the snow is coming and i cant wait ;)

Jay

TDEVIL

ok, so w/ the size of the reactor, is it more personal preference or is there something that would tell me to get 'this' size reactor or should i worry more about quality and ease of adjustment rather than size?

Jay

prow

what size tank is it for? for most brands even the smallest ones will handle a 100gal fully loaded tank with no problem. the biggest difference is the media it is able to hold. "more surface area more contact time more media dissovled"
i would look for easy over anything else. quality too of course. i have the korillin reactor and there smallest rating is for up to 400gals. it uses 6.6lbs of media. knob reactors smallest one is rated for up to 200gals. it uses 3.3lbs media. i would say any reactor that holds about 5lbs would be plenty for the avg. systems of 100-300gals.
knobs i heard nothing but good things about.
IMO pick a couple you like and post vs thread to see what people that use this that one have to say about it.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
There was a new Knop reactor for sale at RC for a hundred bucks ! I should've jumped on that deal :doh:
Prow did you buy your own CO2 tank or are you renting ? Where do you fill it Praxair ?

prow

i bought my own. a couple of the LFS swap bottles, a full 5lb bottle for a empty goes about $20. i am lucky there are about 15-20 fish stores within 5 miles of my house.
if not i think i would just ask a local fast food or resturant where they get theirs at. as long as its beverage grade i think your good.

prow

There was a new Knop reactor for sale at RC for a hundred bucks ! I should've jumped on that deal
o yeah. if i saw that right now i would get it and i have a reactor already. i bet it was the hd model too.:smack:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
prow said:
i bought my own. a couple of the LFS swap bottles, a full 5lb bottle for a empty goes about $20. i am lucky there are about 15-20 fish stores within 5 miles of my house.
if not i think i would just ask a local fast food or resturant where they get theirs at. as long as its beverage grade i think your good.

I work for Coke and they have the tanks but they're 50 lbs. no place for that anywhere near the tank :doh:

TDEVIL

the tank is 150g about 300g gross and there will be a frag tank also, just not sure on the size yet.
the tanks and refills im not worried about as all the maint guys where i use to work (seems weird saying that) got a 15% discount at a local place, i talked to the guy already, he said he will still give me a discount beacuse of all the business i gave him and he felt bad because we lost our jobs to overseas. thought that was nice of him

w/ the type of reactor, this will be the thing, i have read a lot (a lot) of threads about this subject. the Knob's, deltec, MRC, Geo's, and jetstreams come up often (and a few others) and while one person loves one of them and the other person doesnt, i really wish we could do a 30 day trial and error type of thing, lol

thanks again ;)
Jay

prow

cheeks69 thats a life time supply. sure you cant fit it?lol.:whstlr:
i think they have adapters you could use to fill a smaller one. not sure on that but i would think so.

TDEVIL yeah i hear ya on the readings. everyone thinks theirs is the best. well not me the only thing i can really offer is on the korillin. it uses a lot less CO2 than most and produces alot of alk/Ca, i get 75+ alk/out of the eff. great performance, very efficient, top of line as far those go. built well, good parts and very sturdy. pretty small foot print.
but its a real pain adjusting and readjusting. i will take a "easier" less efficient reactor. CO2 is cheap enough. my time,,, priceless:apimp:
for me, maybe this summer, i will be getting a knob. i hear there decient on efficiency and built good. and of course i hear they are simple and dont need a lot of tinkering to set it. as soon as its time to change up my media. for what its worth, one vote for knob from someone that has never owned or used one.:thumbup:
the GEO might be worth a look. there from a guy that did some DIY's that took off. always worth looking into a fellow reefers works.

Warnberg

The reactors I looked at are the jetstream 1, GEO and knob. I bought the jetstream 1 but not sure I would buy one again with the price they have gone up to, but in my opinion, after running it a year I would say it's one of the most efficient reactors out there if you have it setup correctly, feeding this reactor is the tricky part. The GEO was my second choice, from what I have read it can be tricky to setup as well but a nice reactor, didn't do lots of research on the knob reactor.

TDEVIL

thanks for your comments all
i still have time to look around and will let you all know when i get one and what kind i end up with :)

Jay