Question about using Black Powder

SeaLover

Ok so my next question. Really there is no need fo dosing chems that often. Because if you do frequent wc's there is trace elements in the salt and ro water mixture. See ppl at my local pet store always say they dose with iodine often. But I talk to alot of ppl who rarely use it too?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Personally I don't mess with the pH. As long as it is within the accepted range of 7.8-8.4, I leave it alone! Mine hovers at 8.0 and I have never tried adjusting it.

Last edited:

BLAKEJOHN

Purple-Up is not recommended by most serious reefers. It has been implicated in increasing phosphate levels that lead to undesirable algae growth.

FYI, it's best to let the coraline algae bloom naturally. You can help it along by scraping it off the live rock (LR) and allowing the spores to become free floating thereby colonizing everywhere! Believe me, it will happen, then you will be cursing its very existence. Remember, nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Take it slow for the best results.

Aint that the truth!!! I never used any thing but Bionic and this week I scraped about 100sq. inches of coraline of my front and side glass.

reefmasta

haha, i have combo vital also along with black powder and couple other products. and it DOES not grow any unwanted growth nusense algae. in my experience its increased polyp expansion and coraline does thrive all over the tank. my IMO its just enhanced my corals. but use it lightly not everyday, every 3 days. ive also seen some of my anthias try to eat it when it comes through the supply, they seem to love it.

jenglish

haha, i have combo vital also along with black powder and couple other products. and it DOES not grow any unwanted growth nusense algae. in my experience its increased polyp expansion and coraline does thrive all over the tank. my IMO its just enhanced my corals. but use it lightly not everyday, every 3 days. ive also seen some of my anthias try to eat it when it comes through the supply, they seem to love it.

I know that there are chemicals that have been experimentally shown to induce polyp extension. I have heard M@rc Wei$$ uses these in some of his products to make a coral appear more healthy. extension is not neccasarily indicative of good coral health. In general it usually is, I'm just saying there are exceptions. Rosy cheek color is thought to be attractive in humans.... I can smack someone's cheeks rosy red and I doubt they are any healthier for it. I can't say for sure if these products help your tank or not but I thought I would throw out an alternative explanation.:bouncer: