Hey guys,
i have a 120 sw fish only tank stocked with:
Atlantic Blue Tang
Tomato Clown
Niger Trigger
Blue Damsel
Striped Squirrelfish
Falco Hawkfish
Green Bird Wrasse (brand new, doing well)
and Green Mandarin
(i dont have any invertebrates of any type)
Well i heard something about refugiums and ive heard the word before but i never knew what it was so i did some research and im still a little unclear to what the point is completely. Would it be a good idea to get one for my tank cause i dont know what purpose it would be to have it. If so any ideas on what to put in it and i think i would use the ten gallon thats sitting around. Also, i already have a uv sterilizer and protein skimmer. Websites suggestions are appreciated if thats how you roll.
Thanks,
Matt

corrado007

It's typically just a section of your sump or sometimes a HOB unit. They are great for growing macro algae which can be used as a nutrient exporter. They are also a great place to grow copepods which your mandrin needs. You could definitely use a spare 10 gallon tank for one if you have one laying around. The only issue with that is that you would have to plumb the 10g to your system some how as opposed to dedicating a section of your sump to it.

bryceK

Like corrado007 stated above it gives you a place to grow macroalgae which feeds off of nitrates and you can grow copepods there. here is a link to a ton of articles about refugiums...

RefugiumFAQs

Big Dog

It's a no go if you run copper for fish treatment or there is copper present from Ich treatment. I know some folk run copper in FO tanks. Any decorations that have been exposed to copper would have to be eradicated of the copper.

Mav3rick

so its pretty much a house for feeders to grow.what is the point of putting plants in the refugium? can i grow them to feed to my niger and tang?

bryceK

You can do that. A refugium is a separate tank connected to your main tank usually used to house macroalgae, live sand and live/rubble rock. It's also important to note that they should never hold animals such as crabs, fish or anything that might decimate critter population. One of the main functions is to protect small critters from the main tank giving them a shelter to reproduce without the threat of being consumed. The idea is to have the refugium give a slow supply of pods to feed the main tank to be consumed by corals or fish. Usually the pods are able to survive the trip to the main tank even after going through the pump.Another main function of a refugium is to provide a space to grow macroalgae. Macroalgae serve a very important role in removing excess nutrients (mainly nitrates and phosphates) from the system. They help prevent high levels of nutrients which may have a negative impact on the corals and fish. They also help prevent micro algae such as the dreadful hair algae. Macroalgae are generally much easier to control than micro algae and thus it's preferred. However, just because you have a fuge housing macro algae does not mean you can go on an all out feeding frenzy. Water changes and maybe even skimming are still important.