question about online livestock purchases

Gyr

I think I am ready to add some livestock to my 55 gal tank. It's been up and running (mostly as a live rock only tank) for over 2 years, but I didn't upgrade to metal halides (two 250 watt 48" Sunpod) until about 2 months ago. I think the water flow in my tank is pretty good with a SQWD for the return, one Vortech mp20 and one Koralia 4. I added a captive bred percula clown and coral beauty (one each) and two M. cap frags. The Monti's have been in the tank for about 6 weeks and everything is looking happy (except percula has to snuggle into a crevice in the rock at night). My water parameters are good and have been stable for quite some time and I am wanting to add some other SPS corals (including acropora) and a BTA to see if it'll make a good buddy for the percula. I have a few LFS's locally that carry these items, but the selection isn't always great, especially since I'd really prefer to go with aquacultured livestock.
I have never purchased livestock for my aquarium on line/through the mail and I fret about corals and a BTA surviving the shipping process. I know others do it, that it is, in fact, common, but still I worry.
I guess I'm posting this thread mostly for reassurance, but would also like opinions about which supplier of aquacultured livestock is the best (from the research I've done so far I am leaning towards LiveAquaria).
Thanks,
Kurt

seafansar

I have had good luck with fish from liveaquaria (always healthy and never skinny) and corals from vividaquariums ($$$ but well worth it IMO lol). I know someone who has bought corals from Pacific East Aquaculture and they look great. I bought a RBTA from vivid and it was in excellent health when I got it, so at least from that I think they ship alright.

Gyr

Oh, yeah. I imagine that distance shipped would be an important factor. I live near Sacramento in California. Vivid Aquarium is a lot closer than LiveAquaria, thanks seafansar, I'll be browsing their site.

sh8wn9

Ive purchased probably 90% of my coral and iverts from pacific east aquaculture and have never had a problem with any of them. The only thing that sucks is the shipping costs, but they arrive healthy and intact. I will definitely purchase from them again and again....

lcstorc

Since most shippers go through a central "hub" I am not sure that distance makes much difference.
The one thing you want to keep in mind is that if/when you order fish, don't feel presured into buying more at the same time because of free or reduced shipping. Your tank can only handle the addition of small amounts of livestock at a time.
Corals are of course more flexible since they don't increase your bio-load.
Mr Coral is another good one, particularly if you like to grow out frags on your own.

jamielai

I purchased from MR Coral also and everything came in great shape and they really throw in some great items. I have heard others on here who purchase from them also and love them.

mettjl03

I buy everything off line... Never from the LFS and I have never had a problem. I like liveaquaira. The send the items in a cooler with either hot or cold packs depending on what time of year it is and where you live. They also pump pure oxygen in the bags that the fish/coral come in. So the animals can stay in the bag for up to 72 hours with no problems. They also have a guarantee which is nice...

Gyr

Thanks, everyone. I feel better about buying through the mail/internet. Thanks for the recommendations for retailers, too...Looks like I've got some shopping to do...:eek:lsmile: