Question about Nitrates in Tank

I literally lol'ed at that... You're still creating matter here... You can't take 100% away and have some left over...

That will be the sump or canister filter part of the post then.

Steved13.......I can agree that a 50% change from the tank plus 50% from the sump may reduce nitrate by 50%. Just from the tank alone, will not because it is only part of the actual volume in the complete system. Nitrate being in the complete system.

I can agree that multiple changes of 50% will work better than gradually doing 10% changes, as in being quicker.

steved13

PREMIUM
Major Fish, FYI I've never met anyone that when speaking about water change percentages, is not referring to total system volume. Most folks are taking a good guess at there total system volume and that is the number.

Example: My tank is 250 gallon my sump is filed roughly halfway or 25 gallons of water, rock displaces roughly 25 gallons, so I'm figuring my system is at about 250 gallons. so my weekly 25 gallon water change is roughly 10%.

Some folks run large sumps, and large fuges, and even multiple tanks...they're always talking about total system volume.

steved13

haven't had time to get on here but will resurrect the post, so I can hold me hands up lol

I didn't click on that people were talking about taking 70% out of the tank to equate to 50% of the system volume. Thought they were just taking 50% of the tanks water, until I twigged onto the fact on Friday and then seeing your pm and reply in here.

Sorry folks, been on a tangent, but have to man up and apologise for the slight oversight.

Andy

I got my nrates down by eradicating dead spots in mt tank so flow got to all debris and lowered tge amount of food for a week then did a 25% changeand it seemed to do the trick. What tester are you using? And how do you assesd results