Question about everyone's QT

So I have a 10g tank that I used for my QT only i got tired of it being on all the time and i end up turning it off. I would say it's probably been about 6months since i ever turned this guy on. My question for everyone is if i was the only one who does this and if i ever wanted to start using it again what should be done. I also took a few pics so you have a general ideal of what it looks like now since the last time its been used.

photo3_zpsee4aacd8.jpg

photo1_zpsb80807da.jpg

mikecc

QT tanks discourage the use of substrate.

I just hide mine away and when I need It I break it out, get 10 gal from DT and Im good to go.

gpdno

I just have a bare 10 gal tank with a few PVC pipe fitting. For the most part it just sits empty in the fish room. Although I do use the same tanks and bare set-up to hold feeder shrimp or anthropoids if I don't feel like dumping all the little guys in the DT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxsavage

Keep a sponge filter in your sump and leave the qt empty and dry when your not using it. After the sponge has been in the dt's sump for 6 weeks it will be ready. When you need a qt just use the established filter from your sump and some tank water or new water to set it up. I always keep a couple of extra sponge filters in the sump in case I need one.

Waya

I would remove the sand and put PVC in its place for hiding. Unless you are qting a sand sifter. Just my two pennies :)

Steve L

If I think I'm going to be getting a few fish over the course of a year I'll have a fully established tank with sand and live rock cycled and ready to go. If you're talking about a hospital tank that can be dosed with meds, then I do what the others say and go without a sand bed and put PVC in there for hiding places. The way I look at it a quarantine tank should be established. Not doing so will cause unstable water parameters and stress out the fish that you're trying to keep healthy for your display tank.

I've had an established quarantine 30 gallon tank sitting for 3 months without using it (established but no fish). I simply hate taking down an established tank but I'm tired of the extra work if I'm not going to use it.