Question about auto-topoff

beauphus

i am about to install a RODI system and run it from my sink to the tank. quick question though...do i have to have a resevoir of some kind - or can i just have it feed straight into the sump with a float switch? i dont have an room for a resevoir anywhere. thanks!

cioutlaw

i am about to install a RODI system and run it from my sink to the tank. quick question though...do i have to have a resevoir of some kind - or can i just have it feed straight into the sump with a float switch? i dont have an room for a resevoir anywhere. thanks!

I just did this days ago & so far it has worked great. NO resevoir..I bought a double float, double solenoid valve from AutoTopoff.com Here is the downside. its not good to only run your RO/DI for minuits at a time. To cure this problem I am using a timer so that the RO/DI will only be able to run for a few hours per day & will run for a couple hours straight. Another good thing about the timer is if the valves fail it wont run all day & night before noticing.

DaveK

That is all very nice, but what happens when you want RO/DI water for doing a partial water change?

You'll still need a reservoir of some sort for that, and still need additional plumbing for the RO/DI unit.

jrf1175

I had that exact set up in my last place - RO DI direct to sump with a float switch. It worked great and hassle free for the most part. I think it fried the solenoid on my RO/DI unit though and I have since replaced...so I like the idea of the timer.

framerguy

This is just IMHO but I think it's a huge mistake running the RODI straight to the sump OR the top off resevoir. What if the float sensor fails (it happens, and it happened to me) then your tank is flooded with an almost infinite amount of RODI, and everything dies! You want a finite amount of water available for topoff, an amount that won't crash your tank if it's all dumped in at once. You CAN run the RODI to the top off resevoir but be there to physically turn it on when you want to fill it and turn it off when it's full. It's not that much trouble to use a seperate resevoir for RODI, and use a 5 gallon bucket to fill the top off resevoir every couple of days. Then you have water available for other uses like changes, tests, etc. I believe in automation, but not at the expense of the tank. Just my two cents. Thanks.

cioutlaw

This is just IMHO but I think it's a huge mistake running the RODI straight to the sump OR the top off resevoir. What if the float sensor fails (it happens, and it happened to me) then your tank is flooded with an almost infinite amount of RODI, and everything dies! You want a finite amount of water available for topoff, an amount that won't crash your tank if it's all dumped in at once. You CAN run the RODI to the top off resevoir but be there to physically turn it on when you want to fill it and turn it off when it's full. It's not that much trouble to use a seperate resevoir for RODI, and use a 5 gallon bucket to fill the top off resevoir every couple of days. Then you have water available for other uses like changes, tests, etc. I believe in automation, but not at the expense of the tank. Just my two cents. Thanks.

I agree & that is 1 of the reasons I went with a timer so that it can only fill a few hours per day. Im thinking of adding a high level alarm as well. Both floats or both solenoids would have to fail for a problem & then add in the timer & I feel safe.

framerguy

I agree & that is 1 of the reasons I went with a timer so that it can only fill a few hours per day. Im thinking of adding a high level alarm as well. Both floats or both solenoids would have to fail for a problem & then add in the timer & I feel safe.
A back up for the back up... I like it!

cioutlaw

A back up for the back up... I like it!

I was a lil worried of the problems you mentioned & figured I couldnt have enough backups.

For the one who asked I have a tee with a valve going to a 44gal Rubbermaid can for extra water.

beauphus

thanks all for the help. i just ordered the whole system from filterguys. what is the name of the timer you got and where did you install it? also where did you get it? thanks!

cioutlaw

thanks all for the help. i just ordered the whole system from filterguys. what is the name of the timer you got and where did you install it? also where did you get it? thanks!

Just a basic inlne timer like you would use for your home lights will work. Plug your ATO into the timer & the timer to the wall outlet.