quarentine tank

Couch

Another question. I am going to wait for about a month till my live rock cures, and am going to work on a quarentine tank. Will a 10 gal tank be OK for this with a hang on protein skimmer?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If you can set up a 20 gal, it would be much better. Definately cycle it 4-6 weeks prior to using it. Use a grocery store shrimp!

Splendid

Woodstock said:
If you can set up a 20 gal, it would be much better. Definately cycle it 4-6 weeks prior to using it. Use a grocery store shrimp!

I think he is right. you should get a 20 to 24 gallon or the testing like ammonia will be way high

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Im so confused,ive read the posts for quarantine and understand it but all the lfs near me separate fish stock from reef, fish stock is all coppersafed. do the fish still need quarentine?? do corals,inverts ect need it?

Charlie97L

not all LFS quarantine or treat... the good ones will. also, pretty much nothing you buy online is quarantined or treated. it's just prudent.

for me, if i buy from the 2 stores i know quarantine, in it goes... anywhere else, quarantine. guess that's why i buy only from those stores. hehe.

BoomerD

It's been my experience over the past 30 yrs, that even the stores who claim to quarantine their fish, really don't. At least not in a proper quarantine process. That requires each fish to be isolated from all others, kept for a MINIMUM of 4 weeks in isolation, (even copper treatment needs 4 weeks) after which they can be placed in a community tank.
Most LFS who claim to quarantine, only keep the fish for a few days in holding tanks, usually with other fish, then if nothing apparent is going on, place them in the regular selling tanks...NOT a good quarantine procedure IMO...

Gina

RS STAFF
If you want to be sure and keep your other fish healthy I would certainly quarantine. I would consider a 20g if at all possible.
For hiding places you could place pvc pipes.
I would also go BB as this will be easier to treat (if needed) and clean.
To make things even easier I would go with an Aqua-clear hang on filter, heater and power head. Not sure I would bother with a skimmer?

BoomerD

I always used a skimmer of sorts, (Bak-Pak with the Bio-Bale) on my quarantine tank, along with an AquaClear 300 filter. (on a 20) Seemed to both keep the tank relatively clean, yet provided good biological filtration.
Bare bottom, with only a few pieces of 3 and 4" PVC for hiding places.