Quarantine Tank

DaveK

The tank only holds about 3.5 US gallons, far too small for a quarantine tank.

You would need something much larger, just to hold 1 fish in quarantine. Keep in mind that a quarantine tank doesn't have much in the way of biological filtration.

Even so, it's fine for pods.

bazmackem

Thanks both!

Dave - I think your post the other day is what prompted this question... I was under the impression I needed a full skimmer, filter powerhead etc for qt but you said a small cheap one would do. What size should I be looking - will only be small fish as only a 34g DT. All would this tank do for taking out a nuisance black crab I found and maybe for removing some Kenya tree before I can take to LFS??

DaveK

Quarantine tanks are set up for dealing with new fish, or treating sick ones. About all you need is the tank, some sort of filter, heater, and something like PVC pipe fittings so the fish can hide. You could use a skimmer if you have and old one available.

You control ammonia and nitrites with large water changes. This is because if you need to treat, most effective treatments will kill off any biological filtration. If your not treating, there are some ways around this. Some people run sponge filters in the main tank or sump, so they get loaded with bacteria, and then put that filter in the quarantine tank when they get new fish.

As for size, it depends upon how may fish you will need to quarantine at one time. I'd say something about 10 - 20 gal should do fine for you. This is where you look around for a bargain. You might find a used tank cheep, and it doesn't matter if it's got a few scratches.