quarantine tank help

halo2rain

Ok someone if its been posted point me in the right direction but if not how do I set up a permanent qt tank that I can treat fish for and set up to get rid of pests itll be a 55g pointers threads or proper ways will help in my quest thank you in advance for the direction

Steve L

Unlike the link provided by Woodstock, I prefer keeping a separate QT and hospital tank (HT) rather than combining the two. At the moment I have two well stocked display tanks so there is no need to keep a QT tank going, but until a couple months ago I kept a 30 gallon QT that had been set up for over a year with a sand bed and live rock. It used a HOB wet/dry filter and was very stable. I used it for fish and corals and anything that went into either of my DT's spent at least 5 weeks in the QT first. I never had to worry about unstable water parameters and it was a nice quiet place for my new arrivals to adjust before going into my DT. When I have a sick fish, I keep a cheap little 10 gallon tank with a heater, HOB filter and some PVC for medicating fish. While I've only needed it a couple times, using it for medications rather than my QT I never had to worry about destroying the established biological filtration in my QT.

That's just my preference, everybody has different ideas that work the best for their situation.