Quarantine: Protect Your Investment

Blue Space

I just got back from MACNA 2011 and let me just say it was AWESOME!!!!!!! ...!!! :D

After returning home, the first thing I did (besides going through all the free stuff that I scored) was to float my bags of coral frags in my QT tank to begin the acclimation process. While doing this I decided to check out the web for instances of other peoples frags they had got at MACNA to see how they did. Low and behold as I searched through the forums of insanely happy reefers who'd found some amazing frags there were others who got A LOT MORE than what they'd bargained for in the form of zoa, acro, and monti-eating nudibranchs! EEEEK!!!

zoanudi.jpg

I know that I'm just a noob in this wonderful hobby, but thankfully, by paying attention to what many of the well repected RS brethren (and sistren) have repeatedly said -I decided that my first tank would be a QUARANTINE tank.

Here's a funny, yet truthful video that drives the point home if you were thinking, " I'll just dip my new frags, skip the quarantine process, and then stick them directly into my DT..."

Blue Space

I'll be QT'ing the beautiful percs that I'll soon be ordering from you too Woodstock... :D

Not that I don't believe you keep a pristine envirionment for your fish (Which I do -I have read your entire thread (Loved it!) on breeding percs which, incidentally, is reason why I joined Reef Sanctuary in the first place!), but because they'll need that time to recuperate after the stresses of shipping half way across the country. I want those little guys healthy and able to adjust to their new environment with ease.

DavidM

A quarantine tank sounds like a really good idea. So you will have at least two tanks, right, the QT and the one you transfer things from when they are found to be contamination-free? That makes a lot of sense. I'm new here and just picking up ideas, and I think that one is going to go to the top of the list, lest the Fuehrer get on my case and I end up hanging from piano wire or something. :)

Blue Space

It's not just a good idea, it's a great idea! And you're right the Fuehrer looked really P'd off when he heard about the AEFW!! :D