Quarantine and Medications

cmchocolates

Ok. So being a beginner and not taking the time to learn what I had to learn, I lost a few fish because I didn't quarantine or know that fish I buy in a store can have a disease. So thanks to the two stores I bought from, which don't care if the fish die or not, because they want the $$$$.

So after reading about why my fish died, Ich, I decided I needed to do things the correct way, starting with having the tank fishless for 8 weeks to get the disease or parasites out of the tank. I went out and bought two quarantine tanks, one for fish and one for everything else. I set up the tanks, but I was reading this thread Stocking the Marine Fish Medicine Cabinet
As you can see, some of the medications say "It's used for all newly acquired fishes" or "All newly acquired Anemonefish will be treated with this chemical for Brooklynella". So even if the fish don't show signs of the symptoms, are eating and pooping good, I should still treat them?
I plan on buying clownfish, so what exactly should I treat them for while in the Quarantine? I know I'm suppose to leave them for 6 weeks, but if they show no signs of anything, why would I treat them?

Sorry for the questions, but I want everything to live and do what I can to make sure I don't take any lives, because I didn't ask. Thanks in advance.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You will get varying opinions here but I would not treat a fish for something you're not sure it has for fear of stressing it out and unless you're doing one fish in the tank at a time, you expose them all to the treatment. The only thing i proactively treat is for internal bacteria/parasite using praziquental (sp?).......other than that, I watch carefully for signs of any developing disease. Leebca has posted some great information on here about fish and sthere diseases......take a read through a few of his sticky's and above all, keep up with your water parameters as this is a good way to keep fish healthy.

leebca

There is only one good reason to treat fishes for something they may have but for which they are not displaying. That is because it is so common for them to carry this disease/parasite/pathogen.

In the case of Marine Fishes, so many of them carry intestinal parasites that de-worming them all is a treatment to give all newly acquired fishes in quarantine. Fish can live with them, but they weaken the fish and in captivity, this could be fatal to our fishes. Having these kinds of pathogens/parasites can lead the fish to poor health and to succumb to other pathogens.

In the case of Anemonefishes, it is so common that they are infected with Brooklynellosis, that treating them for this is the best thing to do.

In the case of Tangs from the Genus Acanthurus sp. they are so commonly infected with either Marine Ich or Marine Velvet or both that treating them with a copper treatment, which kills both of these parasites and a few other pathogens, is the best thing to do. If you use Cupramine as recommended, this poses the least stress on the fish.

Beyond the above, the fish should be seen to display a condition that needs treatment.

:)

cmchocolates

Thanks guys for your replies and info.

I already treated with PrazoPro, which has praziquantel, to de-worm. This product I can find at my LFS that has praziquantel in it, so I hope its good.

I did buy a clownfish, but it was tank raised. Should I still treat it for brooklynellosis since it was never in the wild? Also, I'm having a tough time finding Formalin at my LFS, which I have went to all of them within a 30 mile radius of my house. What else can I use to treat for brooklynellosis? I've read on a couple different places that say hyposalinity and copper doesnt work for brook.

Thanks in advance

cmchocolates

Ok. So I read another thread that talked about brook and according to Lee (should of did more searching before the above post by me) that even if the fish was tank born and raised that it still can get brook from other wild fish that are in the same display system. I guess all those tanks are tied into each other at my LFS and they do have wild fish in the system. I guess I will treat for brook. Thanks Lee!

Does anyone know where I can find formalin in Orange, Riverside or LA counties here in CA? I can't find it anywhere.

cmchocolates

Well this sucks. I noticed that my Black and White clown is not doing so well. Two days after I brought him home, he looks like the black on him is fading, he's breathing heavy, not eating and sits at the bottom of the tank in back of the pvc pipe I put in there for him to hide. It happened so fast, yesterday eating great and swimming around the entire QT tank. Everything in the tank is ok, salinity 1.025, php 8.1, temp 78-79 no nitrates or ammonia. I even did a water change today.

Seriously, this is no good. I can't find formalin around here anywhere (SoCal). If this guy dies, I'm done. You try to do things right and the fish still die. None of my LFS know anything, they all say feed it garlic, it will be fine and have no clue what formalin is! Im sorry for the rant, but I cant handle the stupidity I find at the stores and the crappy fish they sell to us. Doesn't anyone have any self-respect to sell healthy fish. You would think that someone would come up with the smart idea of using QT in their shops and educate the customer. I guess when they're not very smart, then this idea will never come reality.

cmchocolates

Well I guess it doesn't matter about where I can get some formalin at, because the little guy died already, just the 2nd day of having him in the QT. He ended up going from being black and white to being very discolored, his black went to look like orange. Fish stores are a joke here...will someone please open a fish store that actually cares about the fish or life they're selling and for the people that buy them. I'm sorry, but there's excuse for what these so-called stores do. I'm sorry, but this hobby is full of a bunch of idiots that have no clue what they're doing. Anyway, what a joke these people are!

Smokey301

what kind of test kit are you using and how long was the quarintine tank running before you added fish to it? How do you make your water? are you using RO/DI or a chlorine remover? What are you treating with? perc/osc. clowns are scaleless so the respond to water quality and treatments different.

leebca

I appreciate your frustrations cmchocolates. I don't like the way things are either, however it may help a tiny bit to understand the hobby from the LFS's perspective. To them, fish are a commodity, like oranges. Once they sell the equipment, the only way they continue to make money is to sell livestock. A great effort to keep livestock living long lives in captivity is not in their best (business) interests. Lastly, most of them are business people. They have an interest in the hobby, but what they have learned is from the LFS perspective, for the most part.

Keep reading and gathering information from better sources. :read:

You can search the Internet for Formalin. It is available from some online sources, but it is hard to find. At one time it was a chemical used quite a bit by people, then got a bad name with regards to causing cancer and how people were misusing it. You might find diluted versions of it, too.

catran

You can order your clowns online from Donisreef.com
You'll never find a more healthy fish!
Read the feedback in the vendor/seller feedback thread.