QT & Biowheel?

Hornet

I'm slowly getting my new tank going and I'm trying to work out the details on my QT. My DT is a 150 gal. w/40 gal sump. I have a 29 gal left-over from freshwater that I want to use for QT (never used copper).

Can I use the biowheel that I already have for filteration on the QT? If so would I just throw the wheel in the sump of my DT when I'm not using the QT? I will be keeping the QT going constantly while I'm stocking my new tank, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the QT going in time of emergency later down the road. I appreciate any advice. And yes I've already ready a lot of the sticky's on QT'ing. I don't remember everything or understand everything, but I do know I want to QT all my fish before they go in the DT.

leebca

Congratulations on deciding to quarantine new fishes. You can use the bio-wheel, but you'll miss some of the benefits of just using an inexpensive sponge filter as recommended.

The sponge filter is cheap and can be discarded when and if contaminated;
It makes bubbles in the water which keeps the surface moving to help exchange gases; and
It is not strong, so sick fishes won't be stuck to an intake.

In the 29 you can use two such sponge filters. Run these in the display and be sure they are seeded (or run for 6-8 weeks) and until the QT is needed. Setup the QT with display water, move the filters into it and the QT is ready for use.

Hornet

Thanks for the response.

Only reason I'm wanting to use the bio-wheel is because I already have it. If you feel the sponge filters will be better. I'd gladly go that route. How cheap is a sponge filter.

leebca

You can search them on the Internet first, then see what your LFS is asking for them or would sell them to you for, should they have to order a couple for you.