PVC Overflow drain ok?

20nano

So i've finally gotten the time to continue work on my new 72 gallon bowfront. I got this tank along with the stand and canopy for 200 dollars but without a built in overflow. At first, i drilled 2 holes in the back to accommodate the cabinet space behind the tank in the wall so that I can push the tank flush with the wall without having the drain pipe forcing a 5 or so inch gap outward. I was using glass overflow box and used a dremel glass grinder to make the surface skimmer grooves but i broke it by accident. Didnt want to spend many more hours to make another one so i decided to use PVC and will soon pain it black to make it less visible. What do you guys think of this set up? Ive never seen anyone using it in this manner but DO give me some advice and let me know whart you guys think???

Attachments

• IMG_6414s.jpg
    IMG_6414s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6413s.jpg
    IMG_6413s.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 39

glampka

That's a rather unique overflow. How much water do you plan on pushing through there? I'd be a bit concerned that the slots which look to be rather narrow won't be able to handle a high flow rate. I'm guessing you'll need to be sure the slots are kept clean so the flow rate isn't diminished.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 looks narrow, but probably an easy fix. I don't know of an aquarium safe paint, I would just leave them, but maybe someone will have an idea.

20nano

both pipes are 1 1/4" and though the grooves are a bit narrow looking, its actually cut halfway around the pvc and also a straight one along the top. i tried hooking it up to my garden hose at the elbow part facing the cuts downward. I tried turning on my hose at full blast and none of the water could get past the 4 and some got past the 4th grove. Im pretty sure theres enough space for me to push at least 700gph through it. Im going to put it to the test this week when i modify 2 10gallon tank rimless to fit under the stand. Will let you guys know.

Krylon Fusion is aquarium safe spray paint(doesn't specifically say it, but from research and experience), just make sure it dries completely.

I have used several spray painted plumbing and overflow boxes in various set ups. Give it plenty of dry time and you should be fine.

catran

I'm not so sure you should use krylon. It could leech contaminants over time, how about a marine paint? That should be harmless, or less harmful than regular paint. Err on the side of caution, unless you don't add corals and livestock. :)

20nano

mm, bunch of google research and on this forum gives me so many mix reviews. Alot of people would say Krylon Fusion is fine and others would oppose. I dont want to sound like a jerk or anything, but has anyone had any negative side effect and exactly what happen? I would love to paint the pipes black but even if it kills 1 out of 100 fish (if proven to be the cause) i would not use it.

tnwillia

Do you have end caps or strainers on the PVC? The snails will find their way in there and block your flow (how I had my first flood). Coralline will grow and cover the PVC in a few months. I've never painted. Good luck!

glampka

All coatings have a number of chemicals that could leach into the water. Some that come to mind are the plasticizers (they make the dried film flexible), wetting aids (think soap), slip agents, etc...... Best to get the MSDS for the particular paint & see what's in it.
+1 for leaving it as is & have coralline cover it.

20nano

What about I paint the pipes and then seal it with the Aqua Mix water tight sealant. Ive seen some people used those to seal the paint the sprayed onto their DIY aquarium stone (concrete) background. Think that will work on plastic?