Put the gloves on and let's talk DSB.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Reefgeek why dont you start a new thread on that subject. that way we can have another session

Mike

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Like everything in this hobby this is all based on opions and personal expierence. Every tank is different and works differently. I have had succes with the same DSB ( mines only 3-4inches at best) for over 3 years now. I even moved it once and added more sand about a year ago. If it ain't broke to fix it ( just watch it) is my motto.

Rob

Cosmic

I think Travis hit on one of the biggest benefits of a DSB environment in a reef tank. It has to do with micro-life. The addition of a DSB simply adds so many creatures from nature that you would otherwise just NEVER see. They provide a means of natural filtration by breaking waste down to more and more minute particles, they provide a natural food source for our fish and corals, they offer us a glimpse of the ocean depths right in our living rooms. Without a sand bed, most of these points are lost when trying to keep a reef tank. And yes, it IS more asthetically pleasing than a bare glass bottom, IMHO.

However, as everyone knows, there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat. This just happens to be my preferred method ;)
To each thier own, and I'm sticking to that story :)

Cos

SOCAL-Rich

For those who have found the need to replace their DSB, do they use new sand, or is the old sand washed and recycled?

I am hearing "replace the DSB or parts" but what happens to the old sand?

tankgirl

LOL Tg. I believe Steve was making a point with Ron on his comments.
LOL, indeed! I thought he was serious! You hear a lot of unusual opinions in this hobby so jokes aren't all that obvious unless you know the person.

What are the consequences of adding say 1" of live sand to a tank versus a deep sand bed?
That reminded me of a comment someone made - something about Fenner's and Calfo's book stating that 1-2" sand beds can actually detrimental unless well maintained. Do you know anything about that, Mike?

Maxx

I'm not sure why having a remote sand bed would pose a problem as far as getting detritus to it. If I had only the dsb in my fuge and none in the display, I could easily add enough flow to the display to keep detritus in suspension long enough to carry it through the overflow to the dsb in the fuge.
EXACTLY!!!!!
Water changes are rather easy as compared to Maintaining a DSB
I agree that remote sandbeds (unless equal in size, length x width, to the display tank) will always be less efficient than a DSB in the display.... You cant do a 180G bare bottom display with a 50G fuge w/ DSB and expect it to be as efficient as a 180G display w/ DSB. That is simple math
ReefGeek,
Do the two quotes together explain things a little better? Not trying to sound like a smartaleck...(for once), but while you are correct about the disparity of efficiency bewtween remote DSB of smaller size/depth, and the in tank version....I feel that higher flow rates in the tank, remote DSB, and more frequent water changes are the key. Some one on RC has this as their signature, "Export by any means necessary!" and I think its true.
this is a thinking hobby.
DOH!!!! I'm screwed!
BTW like the newly colored in avatar Boomer!
Nick

Scooterman

Originally posted by tankgirl
That reminded me of a comment someone made - something about Fenner's and Calfo's book stating that 1-2" sand beds can actually detrimental unless well maintained. Do you know anything about that, Mike?

I do notice that, when I feed raw seafood, there is always strands of fatty tissue that is not eaten by anything in the tank. I also notice this stuff floating around & I'd Imaging it would be necessary to keep your 1" bed clean for optimal performance. I'm sure that high flow rate helps keeping suspension until removal. I would like to know what effects on not taking care of it on a regular basis, remember without a DSB there can be quicker swings in water prams. That is one plus of a solid running DSB. Well In Mikes case this isn't so true, as water volume overcoms the sudden changes but hey how many of us keeps 1,000 gallons of water suspended 24/7?:p

mojoreef

Just a reefer
TG I beleive its was fenner and gamble that had an article in FAMA, but I have not read it. I also think Rob Toonan said he was of that line of thinking.

remember without a DSB there can be quicker swings in water prams. That is one plus of a solid running DSB
Scott this is a double edged sword. While in a system with out a DSB you get parameter changes quicker, in a DSB system it takes a lot longer to recover from it.

MIke

Flatlander

Originally posted by Maxx
Wow Travis,
Sure you don't wanna discuss politics, religion or gun control instead?

I knew I should have not looked farther down the list here. :lol:

Think I need to read more first. :explode: