Purigen

morbius18

Quick question on purigen/chemical media. If this media removes ammonia/nitrite, wouldn't this cause a general decline in the denitrifying bacteria, so that if/when this media is stopped, there will be a brief cycle as more bacteria have to grow to remove the additional ammonia/nitrite that was taken care of by the chemical media?

Witfull

when they say it removes them, its due to it removing DOC's (disolved organic compounds) same as carbon does. binding it before breakdown. but either left to long will nitrify. with carbon you replace it. purigen you recharge.

Cougra

It's been three months since I've added the purigen to the tank and find that the water quality is still really clear. It's defiantely a product I'll keep using but I need to recharge the batch I have in the tank. (I still haven't gotten around to it yet). I have a second bag that I'm going to add to the tank this weekend to replace the first one while it's recharging. I'll keep an eye on the water clarity to see if there is any difference which will tell me if I left the purigen in too long or not.

12g Dude

I recently recharged a bag of purigen. Since I swap them out, I left the other to dry. I noticed that after the bleach soaking, it was bright white again. After drying, it's turned brown again. Any ideas as to why this would happen? Should I recharge it getting it to the pure white color before placing back in the tank? It was white when I bought it, I'm thinking it should be white when I put it back in.

Tigger

I have tried Purigen before. I notice that it does not work for my tank. I do not get any colour change as descript by some of the pics here.

I have also tried Zeo (stone base) Nitrate removing filter media and again I find that it does not work very well too.

Now I uses the Aquamedic denitrator (deniballs base) and it rocks. It does take some time for the filter to mature and once its does, u are ready to rock and roll.