Pump Recommendations

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Hey everyone....since the website is new, I thought I would start a pump thread. Please give me your good and bad experiences with certain brands of pumps. I'm not familiar with all of the names, so I didn't think it would be fair to start a poll. I'm really interested in experience with Quiet One pumps, but please let me know what pump you run, and how it rates in the following: Heat transfer, noise level, quality, durability and likeliness to purchase again.

Thanks everyone, as usual you guys are great!

Salty75

I have a Gen X external 1190gph, have not had any problems with heat, but it is a bit loud. As far as durability i can't say because I have only had for for about 6 mo. So far I would rate it a 7 out of 10.
Salty75

Dennis7

I run a GenX Mak4 and GenX Mak5. I have been please with both. They give alot of bang for the buck.

wooddood

the wood dude
i have a rio 32hyperflow that i have been very happy with.but i also have had a rio 2500 that does'nt want to restart after cleaning or shut off,but ive read this alot about rios,a mag drive will probably be my next pump.i'll wait and see the rest of the responces here first though.thanks for the thread im sure this will be interesting.dave.

MojosReef

I had problems with Rio's starting after they were turned off. I now run a Mag 24 on my 80g. I like the flow but its a bit noisey.

Scooterman

One Note for almost all Magnetic drive pumps. If the shaft isn't centered exactly so the gap between the epoxy sealed coil and the magnetic core, the thing will have problems restarting. So when taking apart make sure the shaft at each end in inserted into it's mating bushing properly, And centered. Take your time in doing this and you will have less problems with even the Rio's. No matter how much current running through them, if the spacing isn't right it will just pull the magnetic core to one side and it will stay stationary. Now that is the major difference between them and most external pumps, the motor on externals only uses fixed bearings/bushings and brushes, that can be replaced on the better models. Instead of an Impeller like the Magnetic drives, you have a true Impeller pump, these motors produce more torque and can push heaver loads than the mages & will start every time unless the brushes are burnt, in general!

Icebox

I HAD a Quiet one pump for about 6 months. It worked well for about 5 months then started to overheat on a regular basis... After about a month of it working when it felt like it, It pretty much quit working all together. It was my return pump with head pressure of 6 feet with 2 @90degree bends.

When I replaced the Quietone with a dolphin 2100 my tank temp dropped about 3 degrees. That was the only change I made at the time so I know the temp difference came from the pump.

I did not, and would not buy another QuietOne pump. In fact I have that dead one, that I never sent back under warranty, still sitting in a box doing nothing but taking up space.

I was very dissapointed and would not get another one.

Mike

jimeluiz

I'm using a submersable Aqua-Globe (AQ-6000) that pumps 850 gal/hr, 65 watts. Being that it is under water, the noice is muffled. I have it on a rubbermaid dish mat inside my sump to quiet any vibration noise. Pretty quiet overall. I think my skimmer pump is creating more noise... I have no idea how much it is heating my water, but living in San Francisco - heat is not an issue.

No problems (knock on wood) but it has only been up for 4 months.

Maxx

I have used I waki pumps in the past and like them, I will reccomend them to any who may be considering. I also have a new Mag 7 that will be used on my new set up here shortly...
Nick

essmaker

PREMIUM
I have a Mag 5 and it has been great. It is only a year old, but in that time I have had nothing but good things to say about it.

If you get a Mag,it will probably come with a prefilter. Leave it off IMO, it restricts water flow after a very short period of time due to all the crud that collects and grows in it.

dgasmd

mag pumps: have had them and still have them. Noisy, leak, problems starting after stopping, and they do heat up the water significantly. Would not buy another again.
AmpMaster: quiet and not a heat issue. Lots of people report problems with leaky seals. I ahve one running for one year without an issue whatsoever. However, I would not gamble buying one again.
Iwaki: great workhorses. Very reliable and last forever. Are noisy though and very expensive in my opinion. Would buy then again.
Little giant: affordable and great pumps. Maybe just as noisy as the iwaki. Would buy again.
Blueline: same as iwaki, but cheapper. Longevity not proven yet since they are new.
Sequence: ahhhhh, now we are talking. Great water movers. Good electricity consumption for the volume moved, and quiet. Little to no heat transfer. Will install 2 of the 5800 gph pumps in a few weeks. Will let you know later.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Thanks everyone for your great replies! Dgasmd, THANK YOU for your list - it is wonderful and helpful!!! Icebox, thanks for the honost response about the quiet one! Karma to everyone!!

danny254

Let's just say my expierence with Iwakis is a loud one. Since then, I've switched over to CSL velocity's, they add more heat than most others but are QUIET. Mag-drives have been good IME they are a little loud and do add heat, but for most purposes good pumps.

Danny

Craig Manoukian

Have had good luck with Maxijets on my Seaclone HOB skimmers. Will be using an Ocean Runner 2700 in sump on my Turbofloater 1000 Multi Skimmer

12Tank-Fsh_Pictures_007-med.jpg

12Tank-Fsh_Pictures_005-med.jpg

Will be using a Mag 7 as a return. Will report on their performance once I get things up and running.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

johnlewis

Quite One I've used two for about 3yrs without problems on my 180g when it was a FO tank. So my experience is completely different. They never shutoff or even ran very hot. I run a RIO 3100 on my 5' skimmer it does the job but I would gladly replace it.

ScottT1980

I've used CA and CAP pumps, both of which are in the same price range as the rios but are much more reliable. I have mentioned this in chat before but I am suprised no one mentions much about them as I find them very reliable for the price.

Just my 2 pesos...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Scooterman

Originally posted by dgasmd
Sequence: ahhhhh, now we are talking. Great water movers. Good electricity consumption for the volume moved, and quiet. Little to no heat transfer. Will install 2 of the 5800 gph pumps in a few weeks. Will let you know later.

Where do you buy these? I need one.

Scooterman

AHH thanks!
Oh yea, which model is recommended in SW, the smallest one they makes seems like what I will use on my CLS.

Last edited: