Pump recommendation.

Shagon

So I hot my sump second hand. Iy had a 300gph mag drive that is about 5 years old. It puts out about 50gph right now. I am needing to know what size would be good to use. My line coming in to the sump is 1" lines line going out is 3/4. My tank is 55 gallons.

McTeague

I think Eheim pumps are great I have two they use minimal electricity put out very little heat and work great.

astiesi

Mag pumps are known to be very reliable pumps, a bit noisier and they run hotter than the Eheims, but they are quality pumps. What model Mag is it? Generally, if the output of a Mag pump has decreased, it may be possible to just change the impeller and the thing will get back to out of the box performance. The only major failure I've seen from a Mag is it start to leak voltage into the water due to a crack in the housing. In this case, there is no repair option available.

astiesi

I guess that depends on your setup. How many gallons does your sump hold? The turnover for a sump is generally suggested to be 3x - 5x the display size (this is just a rule of thumb and several factors could play a part). That would mean between 165 - 275 gph on a 55. So depending on the height of your return a Mag 3 would get about 270 at 4' and 210 at 3'. This does not take into consideration the design of the plumbing and any losses in the plumbing.

So, in my opinion a Mag 3 may be a bit undersized, I personally may be inclined to go up a size pump or two. However, if you have a very small sump, ~ 10 gallons, it may be beneficial to have an undersized pump as it would give all the microbubbles resulting from the drain plenty of time exit the water. I know I have a mag 9.5 on a 65 gallon with 20 gallon sump, 2 return lines, and feeding the fuge and I have to close off the returns a bit or I have microbubbles everywhere.

TylerHaworth

A 300gph pump isn't going to push much water through a 3/4" return if you have your sump all the way below the display tank... I would recommend something in the range of 500-600gph at zero head... Google a head loss calculator to find something that ends up at 400 or so Gallons per hour... Something such as Quiet One 3000, Mag5, or an Eheim of about the same rating.

mkhenry

I bought a used Mag 7 and used it as a return pump for 3 years on my 65 gallon and then sold it to a friend that has used it in his sump for 2 years. Not a single problem. I bought a Mag 18 to use on my 75 gallon thinking I would go with a closed loop system but the flow wasn't enough. I have been using it for 4 years now as a return pump with a gate valve to throttle it down a bit.

Shagon

I guess that depends on your setup. How many gallons does your sump hold? The turnover for a sump is generally suggested to be 3x - 5x the display size (this is just a rule of thumb and several factors could play a part). That would mean between 165 - 275 gph on a 55. So depending on the height of your return a Mag 3 would get about 270 at 4' and 210 at 3'. This does not take into consideration the design of the plumbing and any losses in the plumbing.

So, in my opinion a Mag 3 may be a bit undersized, I personally may be inclined to go up a size pump or two. However, if you have a very small sump, ~ 10 gallons, it may be beneficial to have an undersized pump as it would give all the microbubbles resulting from the drain plenty of time exit the water. I know I have a mag 9.5 on a 65 gallon with 20 gallon sump, 2 return lines, and feeding the fuge and I have to close off the returns a bit or I have microbubbles everywhere.

The return line is just under 4' long. It has a online heater in it as well.

The sump is 10 gallons. It has a refugium of macro and cheato. It then over flows into the skimmer tank. Then it goes thru a sponge into the return tank.

nos2074

When I had my 55 I ran a Mag 5. Had it for 6 years now and still runs like new. I use it to mix my fresh saltwater now.

csmsss

I run a Magdrive 9 on my 75 gallon sump and have to use a barely cracked open ball valve on my return line to equalize the return flow to the tank (dual 1" overflows from the tank, single 1" return line).

I don't notice any noise whatsoever from the Mag pump - I can't imagine how anyone could, given that it is underwater.