Pulsing Xenia + Ricordea = trouble?

Cassette87

I just moved my rics near the top, but now they're in a place where the xenia could touch them if the current moves them towards each other. Will this be a problem? or should it be okay?

Thanks!

Cassette87

Alright... thought i finally had everything situated, but i moved it again... ugh... now to just wait a few days for it to reatatch... thank you for the link by the way!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I disagree with the comments on that other site. The problem with Xenia is under the right conditions they will proliferate your tank blocking the light from other corals but AFA chemical warfare they will lose any battle they have with other corals like your Ricordea.

bluespotjawfish

Me too, me too!

I keep mine away from other corals anyway so I can contain the spreading. On occasion the one will touch my hammer corals or my montipora and do ok, but I would know continually subject the hammer, montipory, or the xenia to this situation.

Almondsaz

I have to say, that even being new to the hobby I have had my ricordia move towards my toadstool and start to "slime" it. I ended up moving the ricordia and the toadstool recovered. The ric moved fast in an hour and a half it moved over (an inch) to touch the toadstool. Really wild to watch - and no I didn't sit there the whole time. I love ricordia, but didn't realize how agressive they can be. My Xenia seems to go with the flow and pretty happy anywhere it ends up in the tank.

billyr98

the only problem with my xenia, is it grows so fast and big, it blocks the light to some of acroporas... but thats the only thing they are aggressive about is covering live rock..