puffers

shelden816

i was thinking it would be ok considering the shrimp is bigger than he is... but the deal is i inherited a puffer for free today and didn't think about the shrimp being in there so just wanted others opinions

Intranick

"cool" says you! "omnomnom!" says puffer. Just the way it goes man. If I cooked up a steak and put it in front of you, would you eat it?

my old puffer never bothered the shrimp. Then again, my Lionfish never ate the shrimp either. Clever peppermint shrimp were always 2 steps ahead of the lionfish.

I had the shrimp before the lionfish, by the way and couldn't get them out of the tank for a few months.

I guess it is down to the rules of marine keeping..........there aren't any, just guidelines and experience. Your experience of the situation may say it is working or it may not.

Roots

Green Spotted Puffer?

Normally a brackish fish but I have heard of people keeping them in reef tanks once acclimated to the full strength saltwater. They are adaptable from what I understand and although they have the same aggressive temperament of most puffers they remain small. Now I have no experience with this it's just something I read about somewhere and thought it might be cool to keep some in my refugium.

I know that can be done but probably say good buy 2 your cuc and any type on inverts and may even nip or eat your corals. I'd be real careful. you can even do it 2 Molly's i had a friend that used black sailfins in his reef used them to help control alge. but in your refu ok

Doogle

Mollies are easy to acclimate from salt or back to freshwater, just dip acclimate for an hour or hour and a half until fully salt or fresh.

My green spotted puffer pretty much will take a bite out of anything once.lol but he usually doesnt go back for more. Paly polyps seemed to make him kinda sick, I was hoping he would have a taste for Kenya trees but after the first bite he just looked away. He usually will hold interest and keep tearing into something if he likes the taste of something. Awesome fish, I have him right over the kitchen sink so my wife can watch him when she's doing dishes and stuff. Lots of personality..I keep it in full saltwater too

HotelSoap

GET THE PUFFER AWAY FROM THE SHRIMP! at first they are cool with each other I thought everything was fine then I came home to see half of my Peppermint shrimp sucked to the filter. I saw signs because the puffer would nip at him. I wouldn't keep them together 70% says you lose a pretty shrimp in your tank

HotelSoap

What you said really helped I've been looking to add mollies to my system is it really that easy?
Mollies are easy to acclimate from salt or back to freshwater, just dip acclimate for an hour or hour and a half until fully salt or fresh.

My green spotted puffer pretty much will take a bite out of anything once.lol but he usually doesnt go back for more. Paly polyps seemed to make him kinda sick, I was hoping he would have a taste for Kenya trees but after the first bite he just looked away. He usually will hold interest and keep tearing into something if he likes the taste of something. Awesome fish, I have him right over the kitchen sink so my wife can watch him when she's doing dishes and stuff. Lots of personality..I keep it in full saltwater too

Doogle

Yup. Easy as pie. When I would sell them to local lfs I would pour some of their saltwater in a 5g bucket and start a drip loop from my planted freshwater tank with a airstone added. Hour later test salinity should be close. Finish up desalinization and bag em up and send them on their way. Same goes for buying at the lfs from freshwater to salt. Drip loop for an hour, two hours if your slow and cautious.
I've found they can handle large salinity swings at once!lol no worries

HotelSoap

Fantastic! I'll be doing that in the next week the black mollies are very pretty and will stick out well in a sand bedded tank I'll post pics when I do thanks again!
Yup. Easy as pie. When I would sell them to local lfs I would pour some of their saltwater in a 5g bucket and start a drip loop from my planted freshwater tank with a airstone added. Hour later test salinity should be close. Finish up desalinization and bag em up and send them on their way. Same goes for buying at the lfs from freshwater to salt. Drip loop for an hour, two hours if your slow and cautious.
I've found they can handle large salinity swings at once!lol no worries

Doogle

May want to get males only... Or have something that will eat the babies , some sort of population control.