protein skimmer

SpitFyre

Ihave a seaclone 150 made by instant ocean. My tank is a 125 but my skimmer has not done much. In 48 hours ive collected about half an inch of green goop. am i doind something wrong or is my tank just really clean?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm assuming this is your "New" skimmer you were talking about last week. A skimmer takes TIME to "Break In" so I'd give it more time to get to where it should be. Also 1/2" in 48 hours isn't bad. Some people like to skim more dry (less total skimmate) and some like it wet (emptying the skimmer cup daily). That's all personal and will change as you get more familiar with Reefing Husbandry skills.

BobBursek

First, I looked at what I think was the Seaclone 150 for a smaller tank then yours, is it rated for your tank size? 2nd I get some days only a 1/2" of skimmate on my Nautalis which is over rated for my tank and some days get 2-3", I noticed that coresponds with how much and what I feed that day. Some days it is a light green, some times a dark brown, over 3 years now, I do not worry about it being constant each day, my params and LS are all good, so I have learned not to over act on a day to day bases unless you would have an emergency of some type, as the saying goes, do nothing fast.

zy112

I hate to be the one to say it, especially since I think this is your new skimmer, but a seaclone will likely under perform on a 150. With that said, can you live with it, probably. I have heard people use them successfully and others absolutely hate them. Also, I never look for a certain amount of skimmate. I varies, and will vary more on days when you feed ect.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Return it. About the worst skimmer on the market. Not to mention all skimmers have a break in time period

Also this is in RS tips and tricks? o_O

DaveK

I have to agree with StevieT. SeaClone skimmers are about the worst skimmer you can get. As pointed out by others, a Seaclone is far too small for a 125 gal tank.

If possible return the Seaclone, and get a skimmer worthy of a 125 gal tank. Yes, it's going to be somewhat expensive but that's what you'll fine you need. On my 125 gal tank I use an ETSS 600. See link (offsite) - ETSS 600

Now I'm NOT saying that you need to go out and get that brand or type of skimmer, but that's about the size of skimmer you should be looking for. You want a skimmer that is rated for a tank about double the size of what you have. So you should be looking for a skimmer rated for a 250 gal tank.

This is an area where you should buy top quality. It will be least expensive long term.