Protein Skimmer

I need some input on what is believed to be the best skimmer for a 150 gallon tank, i have a current usa one that i am not satisfied with. Thanks

cioutlaw

I need some input on what is believed to be the best skimmer for a 150 gallon tank, i have a current usa one that i am not satisfied with. Thanks

You will get about 100 different opinions, pretty wide range there. You could narrow it down by telling us your budget, internal, external, recirc, ...the list goes on. Personnally I like Euro-reef skimmers. Im not sure they are the best but its what I have used for many years & Im happy with them.

Well i pretty much have no budget restrictions, but i would like to have on that could fit in my esops sump but if i have to have an external one i could work one in.

Nervoustime

dscn0793sj3.jpg

When it comes to skimmers, you will have many choices. If you want to spend around $950, I would recommend the ATB small cone skimmer. It is a very high end skimmer, IMO. I would recommend that you do a lot of research before making your decision. Before I purchased my ATB, I researched a lot of high end skimmers. At the end, I believe that I made the right choice. Good luck!!!

burning2nd

i like the aqua c Ev series.... And i dont beleave you should have to spend more then 350......

the more it costs doesnt mean the better it works..

and on the same hand you will get further with natural export via sump or refugem,......

cioutlaw

You can get a decent skimmer for $350 but there much better quality skimmers out there & there IS a difference. Better pumps, machining, workmanship & thicker acrylic ect. I know it comparing apples to oranges but you wont find a $350 skimmer that will come close to my Euroreef.
DSC02344.JPG
[/IMG]

Adam Black

dscn0793sj3.jpg

When it comes to skimmers, you will have many choices. If you want to spend around $950, I would recommend the ATB small cone skimmer. It is a very high end skimmer, IMO. I would recommend that you do a lot of research before making your decision. Before I purchased my ATB, I researched a lot of high end skimmers. At the end, I believe that I made the right choice. Good luck!!!

This right now is the skimmer to get. Anything cone is What's "HOT" right now. Your going to pay a arm and a leg for this beautiful piece but it's well worth it(at least every owner swears by it). I've got a Extreme 200 and I payed 280 shipped to my door and it out skims my uncles euro reef 135 recirc any day. The ER quality is way nicer though. I have nightmares about the day I drop my skimmer. Anyways. If I had the dough I would Def buy a top notch skimmer.

cioutlaw

This right now is the skimmer to get. Anything cone is What's "HOT" right now. Your going to pay a arm and a leg for this beautiful piece but it's well worth it(at least every owner swears by it). I've got a Extreme 200 and I payed 280 shipped to my door and it out skims my uncles euro reef 135 recirc any day. The ER quality is way nicer though. I have nightmares about the day I drop my skimmer. Anyways. If I had the dough I would Def buy a top notch skimmer.

I know somebody that has 1 too & they love it.

burning2nd

and people often fall in to the "whats hot" grove... witch is fine by me... if thats what your looking for...

a skimmer like that... (obviously constructed witch little concern to efficiency)
looks like it should skim at least a 1000g.

but its nether here nor there I would suggest sourcing from more then just one group of people on one fourm...

rmlevasseur

I agree that cones appear to be the best technology out there right now. Both SWC and Warner Marine are now offering cones far more affordable than the ATB. I'd wait a month or two and take a look at the cones, as many are coming out right now. That's what I'm doing. I've seen the SWC and I'm not convinced at all that the ATB is worth all the extra jing.

Adam Black

I agree that cones appear to be the best technology out there right now. Both SWC and Warner Marine are now offering cones far more affordable than the ATB. I'd wait a month or two and take a look at the cones, as many are coming out right now. That's what I'm doing. I've seen the SWC and I'm not convinced at all that the ATB is worth all the extra jing.

Wait like 6 months, Hopefully the SWC will go down in price.

Nervoustime

With time, the price of most equipment will come down. One thing to remember is that some of these high end skimmers can be purchased at lower prices. Just because they are advertised at a certain price, it does not necessarily mean that you have to pay that price. With today's economy, every thing is negotiable. In my case, every item that I have purchased for my new system has been much lower, compared to the advertised price. This is just my opinion.

cioutlaw

and people often fall in to the "whats hot" grove... witch is fine by me... if thats what your looking for...Very true, goes for corals & fish as well

a skimmer like that... (obviously constructed witch little concern to efficiency)
looks like it should skim at least a 1000g.Its definetly oversized for my system, but im tired of upgrading tanks & having to upgrade equipment each time. This skimmer should be good for the next upgrade.

but its nether here nor there I would suggest sourcing from more then just one group of people on one fourm...

RockBox

Take a look into MSX and Reef Octopus Extreme skimmers. Both come with mesh wheels and nice pumps. The best news is they are very affordable.

jnohs

i use a small sea clone on my 75 and it kicks but fore me. most peeps say they suck and are tempermental but i have no problems with mine. i just add about one ounce of vinigare when ever i notice my skimmer skimmuing porly. that is about 1 ounce every week and a half. and then bam my skimmer is going nuts again.

cioutlaw

i use a small sea clone on my 75 and it kicks but fore me. most peeps say they suck and are tempermental but i have no problems with mine. i just add about one ounce of vinigare when ever i notice my skimmer skimmuing porly. that is about 1 ounce every week and a half. and then bam my skimmer is going nuts again.

Onetime I was cleaning my collection cup & I found an old Seaclone...just kidding. For what they cost they are not THAT bad, I dont think they deserve all the negative reveiws they get. But dont skim near what the better skimmers do.

faust

while a lot of you are looking to the latest and greatest. i just went back to old school. i pulled my needle wheel skimmer and dropped in a lifereef vs2-24 blow my needle away

cioutlaw

while a lot of you are looking to the latest and greatest. i just went back to old school. i pulled my needle wheel skimmer and dropped in a lifereef vs2-24 blow my needle away

I assume your talking about the Coralife superskimmer you have forsale? Kind of hard to compare a $200 Coralife to a $400plus Lifereef. The life reef is a good design & yes they have made them for a long time, better than a comparably priced needle wheel?

faust

that may be true, then again maybe it was the freakin shell i found in the venturi when i broke it down.
still a simpler, older design was the point i was trying to make.