Protein Skimmer pump accesories

Pro_builder

Has anyone ever DIYed a bubble maker for a Protein Skimmer?
I have an RIO 3100 pump on my skimmer, but it won't make enough bubbles. Looking for something that works.
TIA

ScottT1980

How about a venturi valve of some sort? I don't know what kind of skimmer you have so I am unaware of how in fact the bubbles are created (if that makes sense)...

Take er easy
Scott T.

ScottT1980

Hmm...so it is venturi driven (although to be honest, I am not that familiar with these skimmers).

A couple things to think about (again, I don't know all that much about these guys).

(1) Increasing water flow through an existing venturi valve (if these models in fact to do have a venturi valve in the skimmer).

(2) Buy a kent's venturi valve and a pump pushing about 500 gph or so and plumb that in very close to the skimmer inlet.

You might have considered those things or they might not even be an option but that is all my brain could come up with right now. Or worse case scenario, you could drop an airstone into the base (but this is probably unneccesary).

Take er easy
Scott T.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
EEEK, a rio...Get it out, get it out!:D

Try an Aqua Clear 4000, I have a 3000 they make so many bubbles that my tank goes cloudy with microbubbles in minutes, and you can get them really cheap on ebay, brand new.

Pro_builder

Tankgirl, Thanks for the link. It is really nice to see you all here too. We are in the prcess of making this the best site on the Web. :D

tankgirl

Pro, I can't believe how great it is already!!! Can't believe how fast it came together!! Can't believe how many great people came to join!!!
It's great.

Craig Manoukian

I don't know if this will help. I have to make a gang valve to allow air into the pump intake for my Ocean Runner 2700 so that the pinwheel can make the micro bubbles. The venturi is on the outflow from the pump.

I am going to drill a hole through the intake fitting big enough to accomodate some air tubing which will lay across the intake opening. I will purferate the tubing to allow lots of bubble holes and then seal one end and placing a gang valve on the other end to control the air flow.

Will report back on how this works and hope this makes sense.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Dennis7

Pro,
If you pick up that beckett valve from aquatic eco- systems, you won't be sorry. My aerofoamer uses that valve and They produce alot of bubbles.

Scooterman

Hey Pro. I first started out with a Turbofloater 1000 multi.
I now have the sump version, I more or less caller Barry at AquaMedic and Paid for a conversion. AnyHo, I have lots of bits and pieces, your welcome to have if it will help. I don't have a pump but I have just about all of the rest, well most of it.

Pro_builder

Thanks all for the input. I just broke down and bought a Red Sea Berlin Skimmerwith a Rio 3100 for a pump on it. I saw it work in the store and was amazed at the performance. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Plus, I got it for 150 new w/ pump.
Thanks again and have a great day Reefing!! :D :D :D :D

Pro_builder

Well it is working great but still want to build a Beckett skimmer. :D
What size of a pump do I have to put infront of the Beckett to make it perform out of this world????:D :cool: