Proper water movement? Pumps, wavemakers and the overflow box

mudhutbob

As my tank continues to cycle I would like to begin fine tuning it so it is ready to go when the time comes. My question is about the 130D's water movement and whether or not it is important to have the appropriate flow so the detritus and food particles are moved to the overflow box for quick filtering. I have a Koralis Nano that moves the water a little bit. I was thinking of using the Koralis Nano to clear the detritus from behind the rock and then adding a Vortech MP-10 for better movement for the corals and also for transfering waste particles.

Is there a specific spot to mount the Vortech MP-10 so the waste material can circulate in conjuction with the 2 outlet pumps to move debris more efficiently? Where do most Vortech owners mount their MP-10 for optimum results. Maybe water flow isn't necessary but thought I should ask. Many thanks....

Spikewire

Hey mudhutbob. Yes water flow is totally necessary :) I have my left return pointing down and my right return pointing up and to the right. That one agitates the surface and helps bring oxygen into the system. My mp10 is on the left hand glass about 2/3 of the way up and slightly towards the front of the tank. Since I still get some micro bubbles I can at least see some of the flow pattern and it seems to be working for me :)

Gazzaeng

Totally agree I have my return pumps set the same way and have two small power heads on opposite sides just to make sure I get flow around my rocks! I would definatly recommend the mp10 I got two cheap ones when 1 good one would have been better!

mudhutbob

Thanks all for the tip. I moved the Koralis to the other wall and adjusted the pump nozzles as suggested. Now everything that floats goes directly into the overflow box. Funny how much junk settles on the bottom. Looking forward to picking up the MP10 next month. For now..... waiting for the Apex Lite to arrive so I can start programming.