Propagted Corals. Im seeing a pattern?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Where I live we are bit behind on farmed corals, lately Im seeing a lot of corals at the LFS with "cast feet" and after a week or so alot of dead corals with cast feet. What Im wondering is this, when I buy plants at a green house they are "forced" with nutrient and lights and arrive in a mature state that quickly passes, is this the case with farmed corals, extreme lights, unreal water then a nasty black box to the lfs and subpar water and light then decline and maybe survival? Anyone have a bit of light to shed? Steve

boozeman

I think it is a combination... the stress they endure during shipping and then the sub-par condition at the LFS

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
It would be interesting to talk to a big operator about their grow out conditions, if the corals are raised in such a manor are they doomed right out of the gate, when you start getting corals Boozman will you be thinking about natural or propped?

saltwaterfarm

A lot of my corals come directly from a "coral farm". It is located about 35 min from my house. I have had good luck with most everything I have purchased there. I do know he uses 400w XM's and actinics ( I think T5's). Here's the thing that blows my mind. Guess what lighting he uses for the croceas?
Really, Guess!

DaddyJax

I have farmed corals for a couple of LFS and I can tell you that the subpar water conditions is the most likely culprit because I don't do anything special and it is anly a few minutes to the store for me and my corals along with all the others they would get would brown out in a week. I no longer farm for any LFS because of this!