Promoting ReefSanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would call my self a reader and not a poster. in the hobby since 1998 i learn alot from this site, and feel comfortable here. i don't go to rag cause i see no reason. i check in daily, enjoy the pics, and read the threads that interest me. i guess there are a lot of r.s. family like me. i never really give much thought to the activity but now that its been brought up - i understand the concern.

so Travis - since you are currently the captain of the ship! which way do we go, cause i like the ride and do not intend to jump off.
seems like many others feel the same. i admire the knowledge of all that is good about our common hobby. the pics, info, comradery, its a fun place.

lets hold an election, re-tool and make R.S. bigger and better for all of us.....................

Witfull

ill add a serious note, you all know i like to throw a touch of fun around here but will always offer my opinion on theings. many times i do post responses to questions, but other times i dont, and there is logic to my madness. i want to give the "younger hobbyist" the opportunity to give their insites and advice to someone before an OFR comes in and says what they think and every one says,,,"so let it be said,so let it be done, the great and powerful Oz has spoken",,,lol.

Everyone has an opinion that matters, each of us have gone through something in this hobby and have had to over come it, dont be shy to add personal experiences, because alot of reefing is just that! many times i have read a post by a beginner that had XXX issue and how they overcame it, and i say wow,,,good thinking.

i dont see RS going anywhere, each of us can add a drop of blood and in no time there will be life and our heart pumping strong.

on another note, our chat room has been revised, so pop in say hi, hang out and make friends. i hope to steer the room to a more social atmosphere and not just Q&A.

Travis...your doing fine kid, but i do understand, been there.

Dave

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I no way, shape or form did I intend to say that I had a problem with the way the boards rules were set. I have just been told by some people that they didn't like it and were trying to spread the "hatred", if you will. I know that rules do have to be enforced, and that people tend to exaggerate a little when they get upset. I do think that everyone has done a great job, and I too visit every single day, and plan to keep this site my homepage for a long time.
I can't speak for Teri, but I don't think that she has lost interest, I think she has more important things to take care of, like her family and her job. If I remember correctly, she was promoted to a management position, and had to travel. I know management takes tons of work, one of my store managers for example, was working 80hrs a week for the first few months when he started, and he didn't get to see his kids for a week at a time because they were always asleep by the time he got home.
Travis, you are doing an awesome job, so don't stop, Teri wasn't the only asset this board had/has. We can continue to grow without her, and if she comes back, we will be doing that much better.

mkpaulson

Travis you have been doing a outstanding job, thank you for all your time and effort. I know when you started this site up you were expecting to have some help in the administration department and you have been left holding the bag alone. please don't get discouraged we are all behind you, but I would take Mike's suggestion and get control over the board if teri doesn't have any interest anymore . just little disappointed in her for not keeping us posted on her intentions here. Internet access is quite accessible from most parts of the world even some Third World countries, it doesn't take long to log on and make a post on her intention and keeping us up to date.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Originally posted by mkpaulson
just little disappointed in her for not keeping us posted on her intentions here.
Ok guys and gals... Let's not turn this into a Teri bashing session. She doesn't owe us a thing.

The fact remains that we have people here who care enough about the forum to do something to promote it. So lets see...
Shall we get started on new t-shirt and sticker ideas? I don't mind throwing my hat in the ring for that.
What else can we do? Monthly news letters?

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Fido dont take my post about rules the wrong way, I understand where you were coming from.
I dont think their is any reason to bash Teri (and I dont think anyone really was) at all and it was definately not my intention. Reef Keeping and the boards we play on a merely a hobby to all of us and when life calls and its time to move on or to change priorities that is just for the person to decide and what other folks feeling are dont really pertain.
RS is a great board and will survive. Just have some patcience and have some fun and the board will continue to grow.
Ohhh and get the domain name and the server account

MIke

Cougra

I know I don't post here very often anymore, but as with other people, life came along and priorities change. However, I still check the board on a regular basis and will continue to do so for as long as I can. I'm glad that Travis is still around to keep things going and teach us all about aquarium photography! I agree that some boards just go through slow periods and this is one of them. As long as the sanctuary is here people will keep coming back and I really hope that this place doesn't shut down. It's like a second home to me.

ReefLady

Staff member
Well it's clear that this is still something people really do care about. That makes it much more rewarding to do. Matter of fact, that's the only thing that makes it worth the trouble, as I'm sure Mike will agree being a board owner himself.

It's nice to see a lot of the faces that have shown up on this thread, we're definitely hearing from the core of a year ago even today.

About bashing Teri, I definitely don't think that should be or is the case. I have as much faith in her as a good human being today as I always have (Which is a lot). When someone has a good heart, that doesn't change. One thing that should be noted, when I told Teri I needed some info about our VBulletin membership when the crash happened, so that I could seek tech support, she responded within an hour with the information I needed. When I asked her to transfer the money and sponsorship info over to me so we could continue billing sponsors, she did. So while some of her inaction leaves me dumbfounded, her actions tell me she still does care.

I am, however, dealing with some uncertainty that Mike has highlighted. I have control of the bank account and sponsorship billing at this point, but I don't pay the hosting. That does mean that, in a way, we're back where we were a year ago- not sure anyone is paying the bill. But this time our trust has to be in Teri, and I'd still trust her over just about anyone (don't tell my wife I said that :) )

I left Teri a rather long VM on her cell tonight, one of the things I mentioned was that maybe it's time to consider switching the responsibility for paying the web hosting company over to me.

Mike, I understand and appreciate your advice about the domain and server. I think doing that is going to require a conversation with Teri. I'm not willing to take anything from her, though I may ask her to give it to me if she doesn't want it.

T

ReefLady

Staff member
Oh- and I still think if you want to help RS out, the best thing you can do is start a thread. ;)

T

Maxx

First Off...

Lucky Ink,
Thank you for starting this thread up and making the decision to vocalize what many people have been thinking. And as always, you did it in a respectful, intelligent manner.....no easy thing. HAts off to ya bud!

Travis,
I can appreciate where you might feel like 2nd banana here....not the case, as you can see by the numerous comments, (unless you think we are all blowing smoke up yer.....you get the idea). You've done a good job in a tough situation. I wish I had more ideas on how to help out here....unfortunately.....I don't. This is definately one of the areas where I'll be happy to be a follower for any idea that you choose to implement. I've often said I'm good at lifting heavy things.....point the way boss.
Nick

Curtswearing

I've not even been around as much but it is not board related...it's due to other personal issues. Reef Sanctuary will succeed simply because we don't have to put out articles like this...

Remember there is a person asking the question. The anonymity of the board can cause folks to abandon their manners and consideration for others' feelings. People routinely write comments to one another that I don't believe they would ever say in a face-to-face conversation. (This is one of the great benefits of attending conferences such as MACNA and IMAC. Connecting faces with the names and avatars from the board helps you remember the people behind the posts.)

Don't assume they know you're joking. One of the hardest things about communicating on the message boards is the fact that I can't see the people I'm talking to. Therefore, they can't see the wry smile on my face or the mischievous twinkle in my eyes while I type my response. All they have to go on is what's written on the page and what they happen to read between the lines.

If it's an obviously inflammatory post, ignore it. Those few who thrive on conflict, if no one reacted, would get bored and go somewhere else.

Well, maybe the second one would apply to RS (or at least to me). A lot of us have known each other for a long time and there are private jokes that others won't understand and might seem insulting without knowing the background. I know that I definately have a sarcastic sense of humor and I might tease a long-term friend. Regardless, for the most part, a lot of the nastiness that occurs elsewhere doesn't happen on RS. For the most part, the members self-moderate themselves and if someone else breaks "the rules" they are usually told in a calm fashion that, "We don't do that here". In that regard, this is definately a "Sanctuary". I'm not saying that mistakes from members and/or mod's hasn't occurred in the past...it has. But everyone makes mistakes....tommorrow is a new day.

I applaud Travis' dedication to the site under unusual circumstances and I hope you do too.

sharks

Contributing Member
WOW!

First off Travis you are the man IMO. While still rocking the photography hobby you run this place awesomely. On top of that you got and moved into a new house and many people here know what that involves and all the new project that pop up. Without a doubt you are the main person keeping RS alive. But like said above we all need to participate more.

We all have reasons. Me? Well the biggest thing is my job started blocking RS (Grrrr!) no hobby sites allowed. :( So far this is the only one they found. That and I’m gutting and finishing the basement so most of my hours, for months now, are spent down there.

Also keep in mind that the boards get a little quit during summer months, then it’s back to school, and now the holiday season. People’s lives come into play and I’m sure that is the case for Teri. I sent her a message a while back and got no response so I assume that life has just gotten to hectic right now for her. It happens.

All I can say is for everyone to keep up the great work, posting advice, pics, and moral support to each other. It’s a community about the hobby and then there is the overall family feel and camaraderie I feel from the boards. Each is different and each has its ups and downs. This site is in good hands and I hope and pray that it continues for a long time to come. I know I love it here and on all the boards I post to.
S

Last edited:

logical

We love ya Travis :)

I too have been overcome by "real life" in the last year, then kicked around by Mommy Nature with the hurricanes. BUT, even if I must crawl out my hole and answer some questions, or provoke some thought with new questions, I'll do whatever it takes to not let RS wither away. (not that I think it would...but oh the thought!)

Just wanted to chime in so you know without a doubt that RS is definitely worth the effort you have made.

Peace, Bryan Kile

It will be very sad for me to see RS gone forever.I'm also occupied with so many other projects around the house too.
My wife is also doing home studies(Masters)and I get to use the pc very little now.
But I do feel that Teri(ReefLady)should come out and say something to us after all we followed you guys here from RAG,remenber?
I understand that she's busy with her own things but dont we all too?
I also like to give Travis a lot of credit for keeping things going right now and for coming out to tell us the truth.
And if there is problems with you Travis keeping RS(ownership)and you'll like to start a new site in your own please let us know,I'm sure everybody will follow you,OK?
I will try to post more often if my wife let me do it.Or I might have to buy another pc soon(self giving early Christmas present).My 2 cents.

VINA

DuhJeepster

I think this site has reached a plateau in some ways . . . most forum start-ups I belong to are going through the same thing. I think they are many variables to finding the reason why the activity has dropped here.

I'm not concerned because we have a solid and knowlegeable member base, and an awesome administration and moderator staff. Hang in there people, RS is going through some slight growing pains right now, but nothing bad enough to shut the site down. It's a bummer Teri hasn't been here, but this site and member base has been able to stand on its own.

I will continue to log-in, check/search the boards when I need a question answered, and will definitely look at our ever increasing photo gallery. I may not post much, but know that I check-in at least once a day.

Keep up the good work Travis (and mod staff), continue taking killer pics worthy of FAMA magazine covers (hint: Nov. 04' issue), and continue to share the techniques you use to shoot those covers because inquiring minds want to know.

- Tony

I know I do not post to much, my tank is just ready to hit three years old, It has had its problems and I have been so buisy. and in the past few months I get on Sanctuary and read some of the past threads for help. I'm bad. I did not even know there was any problems here. I went from rag to rs and without everyones help I would of left the hobby a year in. I am on a fixed income and I allways seem to get what i need for my tank. But if I am having problems with my tank I am right hear reading threads. I will try to post more often if that what it takes to keep this site going. Travis and the moderators you guys are doing an excellent job do not think otherwise.

angnak

I also come out here everyday. Not to post but look around and read new post. I went out of town for three weeks so I have been inactive for a while. But like some said I usually do a search for the topic I need help with before I post because why bother everyone if it was just answered last week and I missed it. I was in the LFS on Sat and gave this webiste to two people who wanted to start a tank so hopefully they will come out and post some newbie stuff where we can ALL chime in. even if it is to just say I agree. Some reassurance in a newbie can go along way. When I first started out I would wait for three or four people to post before I went with the advice. Anyway, Teri was great and now the torch has been passed to Travis and he is running full steam ahead with it IMO. Keep up the good work Travis and mods. I just bought some new fish, so a new thread or two will becoming soon.

I would buy some calanders. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.