Procedure From Qt To Display Tank

no1bubba

Going to add two tangs to my display tank today and I need to know the proper procedure...the QT has been treated with CopperSafe and I know that they should not be placed in DT without something being done.
Thanks, Bubba

Mcvivor

If you are adding your tang to the QT with some copper being used in it before I do not see an issue. Just drain the QT and fill it with your display tanks water (this way it will already be cycled). Just wait the QT time (4 weeks usually or so). Just keep up on the water changed in the QT tank so the amonia and other things do not spike. Hope this info helps!!

no1bubba

They have already beem in the QT with the CopperSafe. Now I want to move them to the DT. LFS told me they would need to be dipped, soaked or whatever to get the coppersafe off of them prior to adding them to my DT. I have the temperature the same now. Someone has suggested Stresscoat. How much, how long before giving them their new home. If I drain the QT and fill it with display water where without stressing them do I put them while the tank fills. Trying to eliminate as much stress as possible. Do I make sense at all??? Thanks, Buibba
If you are adding your tang to the QT with some copper being used in it before I do not see an issue. Just drain the QT and fill it with your display tanks water (this way it will already be cycled). Just wait the QT time (4 weeks usually or so). Just keep up on the water changed in the QT tank so the amonia and other things do not spike. Hope this info helps!!

Mcvivor

Now I undersand. I did not realize that they were in QT already. Well....what I would do is:

1) As long as the salinity and chemical balances are about the same as the main tank. Go ahead and move them into the main. Maybe put them in some bags and float them in the main tank (or sump) in order be sure the temps are correct.

2) Once you add some of your tank water to the bags and wait a 15 mins or so. Go ahead and dump as MUCH of the water out of the bag as possible and put the tangs in the main. I MAYBE would net them but with them being tangs not a good idea since they have that spike on their tails.

***Others may not agree with my process, but this is what I have done several several times and I have been in this hobby for about 10 years with NO ISSUES in doing it this way.***

I hope this helps!!!

r2d2

I would do drip aclimation as your QT was with a cooper treatment. You may not need a long period of dripping but just to be sure.

Greetings