Problems with Neon Sun Coral

limontee

Hi. We bought a neon sun coral from our LFS on a day that the main guy wasn't there, so we had not idea what was involved in taking care of it. I have managed to keep it alive, but definitely need some help. I've used the tupperware method, the coke bottle, the "thing" that you use to feed each polyp and have read a lot and moved it to different locations in the tank. Oh ... it's a 75 gallon tank. I know you guys ask questions about lights and things like that, so I'll mention that we have some very new, and VERY expensive, lights ... so I think we're okay on that. I have a fan, a big protein skimmer, and a double bio-wheel thing. Water levels are all good according to last check at the LFS two weeks ago.

So ... it looks like the hard exterior skeleton is growing over the heads of the polyps. You can see them at the ends of the tubes, but they aren't extending themselves at night. Some of them have died. The larger polyps toward the base of the coral are still opening at night and eating. What is going on here? I keep wanting to get out some needle-nose pliers and break off the tip of the skeleton to give the polyps more room ... but that probably is not the best way to handle this!

Any suggestions, please??

Lee