Problems with flow since fitting media rack

VP Clown

Since I put in the media rack , I have it set up with CP hung with tie wrap on the middle shelf and some of the filter wool on the top shelf I am constantly having problems with flow through the back resulting in one of the circ pumps kicking bubbles out

Question how much filter wool are people using, I started with the full square over the top shelf, 1st couple of times I put it down to filter clogging and I just put a new bit in, but its happening now when its clean?
Also having problems don't know if it is related with the filter wool floating up off the rack

Andy

redsea reefer

The flow problem is most likely being caused the CP-E, that was my problem too. Since switching to SeaChem SeaGel, the problem is now gone...

TonyV

+1 to Eddies comments. I could never get a full bag of CPE to allow the correct flow even with my double Maxi-Jet 1200 circ pumps. I switched to the smaller 5oz bag and it helped.

I know make my own by using bulk GFO and nylon bags. It's much cheaper and I can control the size.

Stody0

Top shelf for me is a piece of filter floss, the same size as the media rack and about 1/4" thick. I change this every morning when i top the water up. I use phosguard in the middle shelf a small bag hung with a tie wrap, on the bottom shelf I have Purigen again a small bag about 120g of each.

Carbon in the chamber of death 150g

flow is good, level in the back is between the top and second line down of the view finder.

Hope this helps

regards

Al

VP Clown

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to give it a coat of looking at at the weekend. Probably split the CP into smaller bags

Andy

soily

I too have this problem now and then. Stody i run exactly the same as you but you have me foxed with this viewfinder ?????? have i missed something lol.

AG1

Guys anyone noticed bubbles on their filter pad or floss.This is what happens to me ; when I first put a new blue bonded pad or a new sponge like RSM stock sponge , I notice that my ATO fills some water in and I see that the water level increase in the display.Next morning when I check the water level it is decreased again.And one day I looked at the pad from the electric panel and seen that it was catching lots of bubbles.I took a turkey baster and hit the pad to release the bubbles and checked the level again.The level at the DT decreased and the level of the sump increased.This is what happens everyday , first it catches the bubbles and next day in the morning even though I do not hit the pad with turkey baster bubbles are gone by itself.But unfortunately it catches the bubbles during the day again.So what I think is that the bubbles also decrease the flow.But I can not understand the reason why it catchs the bubbles and what causes that bubbles.

VP Clown

I too have this problem now and then. Stody i run exactly the same as you but you have me foxed with this viewfinder ?????? have i missed something lol.

I've now split the chemi pure into 2 bags and hung on the bottom shelves with tie wraps, up to now is seems ok

Stody have you the 130 or 130D, if he is referring to the level indicator view panel the 130 doesn't have the viewfinder

Andy

VP Clown

Guys anyone noticed bubbles on their filter pad or floss.This is what happens to me ; when I first put a new blue bonded pad or a new sponge like RSM stock sponge , I notice that my ATO fills some water in and I see that the water level increase in the display.Next morning when I check the water level it is decreased again.And one day I looked at the pad from the electric panel and seen that it was catching lots of bubbles.I took a turkey baster and hit the pad to release the bubbles and checked the level again.The level at the DT decreased and the level of the sump increased.This is what happens everyday , first it catches the bubbles and next day in the morning even though I do not hit the pad with turkey baster bubbles are gone by itself.But unfortunately it catches the bubbles during the day again.So what I think is that the bubbles also decrease the flow.But I can not understand the reason why it catchs the bubbles and what causes that bubbles.

I haven't noticed bubbles, but mine did float to the top of the water level, so now when I put a new filter pad in I soak it in the tank and then squeeze it so its truly soaked. It seems to stay put now - I can only presume the bubbles are due to putting it in dry other wise am stumped

Andy