Problems Attaching Corals???? Stressed. Help

LiVEWiRE

Problems Attaching Corals???? Is It Stressed? Help. Please....

In case you don't know yet I have a blastomussa wellsi coral. It is my first and I am not sure how to attach it in place to my live rock. I think I may have stressed it out trying to figure out where to attach it so I have a few questions.

1. Do you have to attach all corals to your live rock or either place them in the sand?
2. Can a coral die if stressed to much in one day?
3. How do you tell if a coral is dying?
4 If attaching corals to live rock what do you use?

Their are so many different types of bonders like puddy, Liquid, soft coral bond, Hard coral bond. Is there one type for all corals? I think I may have put the wrong one on. I wont know for sure what is the outcome of my mistake or if im just freaking out until tomorrow when I see if the coral has opened up again or not. So I hopefully will see my coral healthy again tomorrow But can really use some input on this one so Incase I messed up It wont happen again.

Last edited:

JT101

I finally used some Krazy Glue Gel to glue a palythoa colony to some live rock. I took the colony out of the tank, dried off the little stubby piece of LR they were growing on, and then put a nice big blob of KG on the bottom. Sloooly sunk it into the tank and as expected you get that instant "flash" of dried KG on the surface but no problem, I just pushed the blob onto the LR I wanted to glue it to and then wiggled it around to break the "skin" and expose fresh uncured KG. That did the trick! It held!

That was several days ago. Last night I tried to tug on it, it's stuck on there for good!

Who would have ever thought you could actually put glue into a fish tank and not kill anything?

LiVEWiRE

Do you have to attach all corals? Or can some just be placed in a nice secure spot? It looks like my blasto it going to be ok so i dont want to move hime again if I don't have to.

Techno-Vicki

I use the marine apoxy from Home Depot or Lowes. I have lost nice corals from 'creatures' in the night (crabs, urchins, maroon clowns, etc), knocing over my corals and the fall into another coral and get stung. Best to be safe. Crazy glue works as well.

lcstorc

If you are attaching rock to rock then the Super Glue Gel works great. For soft corals without rock it is best to put them in a container of rubble and let them attach themselves.

framerguy

Vicki has the point about securing Coral. By themselves they will be fine, but critters (urchins, crabs, etc) knock them off. Sometimes using a nylon bolt secured to the coral with putty will work, just stick the exposed bolt into a hole or crevice. Then you can move it around if you need to.

slakker

I'm curious well, is there a FAQ to attaching coral? I've seen the epoxy, superglue and stuff, but how does one actually do it? Sorry if this is a silly question.:)

ReefGuy69

I think if someone should do a fragging/attaching new coral thread. A step by step guide on how to frag corals, and then a step by step guide on the different way to attach them. Pictures would be great. Videos would be better. there are alot of bonding agents out there and i know i would be hesitant and i can imagine alot of other people are when it comes to attaching their corals. you dont want to have them come un attached or knocked over and stung by other corals, but you dont want to stress it to death either trying to get it to stay put.

NCguy

WiseGuy
Aquatic_Tools_Coral_Glue__ICGEL_DR1.jpg

lcstorc

You can use regular Super Glue Gel or Krazy Glue Gel.
The key is you need the gel. The regular stuff dries too fast. It is easier if one or both of the surfaces is dry.