Pricing an XXL coral

AJ REEF

I'm looking for some input on pricing for this XXL Rabbit ear leather coral. it about 16" x 20" I was thinking $150.00 usd but I don't see comparables often. LMK what you think. :)

rabbitearleather_zpsa8c61466.jpg

DaveK

That is a nice coral. It's somewhat unusual also. If you can't sell the whole thing, you might frag it and see the frags. Soft corals usually grow quickly, so you could have a "gold mine" there.

Doogle

Soft corals are a little strange IMO, & IMO ONLY.
They are usually much more pricey than I would think & most people won't pay for them because the majority are dime a dozen.
In the case at hand I would think $150 is high, IMO. But if you think its fair its your call.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Blue zoo has their large (5") for $50....but that's retail. Considering you can easily frag it, $150 isn't a bad price but I would say my range would be $100-$150.......but then again I haven't seen it in person. Sometimes you just pay for quality.

Creekview

$150 sounds fair, but my grannie taught me to lowball the first offer and watch their eyes when you do..........never know. Everything's negotiable!!

Doogle

I paid 1/3rd of that for a very large toadstool. These grow pretty quickly & have a large maximum size.
I'd feel it out & if its quality & no flatworms etc. make an offer lower than $150 & go from there.

AJ REEF

Thanks everyone for the input! :) The person i'm getting it from is a seasoned reefer. He was looking at getting out entirely. But I think I have him convinced on "remodeling" his tank so he can find the enjoyment he once had. My biggest concern was low balling. I really didn't want to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love a good deal, but this is a different situation.
Now to find someone to buy the other huge leather that may be the same size or bigger! LOL

Doogle

Huh,I'd spend some quality time with his/her tank. Not sure exactly what you mean but I understand- I'm "getting out" and I know what that means....

I have a few months, I want my freshwater livestock & tanks gone first, my coral will be ready for anyone when I'm ready to sell but I'm holding on to it until I get Sailifert's F.E. so I'm 100% sure I won't spread the few little flatworms I've had for the last couple months, they don't bother me, I hardly ever see them, they dont grow, I have 1 clownfish & good flow, and I think my almost 12" long bristle worm (among the others) is keeping them in check. Something is.But I will not sell coral until they are 100% eradicated. Unless one one really doesn't care & has them already, but even then I'd make sure we are on the same page. I can wait, but when they are gone, you guys/gals will get good deals!

But until I'm 100% sure they are gone- its freshwater only.

So I guess I'm saying take more time to give a good look, & if you are friends/become friends, maybe you'll get a good deal. Maybe even more than the coral.....patience is a good thing.
Smile.

AJ REEF

Oh If I wanted to get it for next to nothing I probably could. But now he is thinking on redoing the tank instead of getting out. And I want to encourage that.

Creekview

Grannie also told me to always "do the right thing", and everything else will work out. Nice to see an ethical guy for a change.

SubRosa

Large corals are worth what someone's willing to pay. I recently had an Orange Capricornis that was wider than a large Rubbermaid Brute. I got it out of the tank intact, and was asking $150 for it. I did manage to get some credit for frags after I smashed it up, and bought a lot of good will when I gave away quite a few pieces. Still have a few, free for shipping. Here's a link to a pic. Orange Capricornis

AJ REEF

Thanks for the input. In the right situation a big coral is worth alot. But often we find that people don't have huge reef tanks to house them. Smaller pieces fit into a larger group of fish tanks. Thanks for the link. I'll check that out when I get time. Sounds like a beast of a beauty!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
So true guys.....large corals are hard to sell. That's why I like nicely trimmed SPS colony's :) Selling frags is pretty easy to help offset the costs of reefing.