Pretty Much Sold on Biocube 29

Bio balls have been gone since beginning and I removed all sponges...I took out filter cartridge and use carbon infused sponge instead. Have a bag of chemipure in return chamber.

Dang...you got 2 cleaner shrimp and they both died?? Now that hurts...I had the same thing happen to me in the beginning, except I think I just didn't acclimate them enough.

So, it's been cycling then for 7 weeks, I guess that's not a horribly long time..I know I didn't wait that long to start adding stuff, then again, I started my tank in all the wrong ways, rushed it way way too fast.

Maybe give it another week or so, do a couple water changes and see where you are at...I've heard alot of people on these sites take quite alot of time cycling before they started.

Good luck

Steve

Yea I know now that I think of it, it FELT longer than it actually was on the the calendar! I'm just wondering if I need to give this reef crab to somebody, or feed him? I threw a couple of shrimp pellets in and he ate them well. Now I added these guys and he's chowed on two snails :(. Live and learn.

Oh, don't you worry, there will be alot more murders in your tank. You can count on that. I just watched my sally light foot crab grab one of my snails yesterday and proceed to drag him in the back and have a tasty snack.

Good thing snails are so cheap..:laughroll

Steve

yea this dude went through two already...
Those cool looking snails with the periscope kinda thing going on...couldn't wrestle the sshell from his grasp at all!

yea this dude went through two already...
Those cool looking snails with the periscope kinda thing going on...couldn't wrestle the sshell from his grasp at all!

Awww...he ate one of your nassirus snails? Tell him to eat the cheap ones first before dining on the more expensive ones...HAS HE NO CLASS???

I just got back from my cousins house...he gave me his 20gallon Eclipse tank, some old rock, an air pump, and like 20lbs of crushed coral FOR FREE....looks like I got me a future frag tank..OH YEAH.

Steve

He ate two...With one hiding under the sand to hopefully make it out alive. I guess I'm gonna have to seriously consider getting rid of him :(...or maybe give him a pico tank of his own... and man what a lucky grab for u!

Basile

Well, go figure...I order everything I wanted to and naturally my invoice reveals that the actually tank is backordered until 7/14 haha. My luck :). I'll list what I ordered below...still curious about what testing kit I should get, ugh!
I ordered: Biocube 29, stand, biocube skimmer, maxijet 1200 w. 1600 upgrade, and JBJ ATO.

HEY, congrads on your buy. A word of caution, go easy on modifications. First good choice of pump, and stick with the biocube skimmer, you really don't need more. You would if you kept an octopus or lots of fish. But a few fish with corals your fine. NOW LIGHTS. You may have to shut off some, because the upgraded lights creates a lot of alges. Ya , and you don't want that , plus it will raze you water temp. Not good either. Don't buy a chiller for a cube , A WASTE of $$ , just shut some lights off. Here a link to show you some mods that guys have done to the cube 29G ; Tricks, Hints and Cheats, for Bio cubes and Nano - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Ok now, for your water i use tap and use conditioner plus my salt, and everthing is fine check my pics you'll see http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/15105/cat/500/ppuser/17987

Take of those bioballs from second chamber and make a fuge only when your tank is set up and cycled.( that reduce phosphate and Nitrates and keep your PH stable during the night.) Those mods are shown in nanoreef.com first adress i gave you. For your flow there's something about that elbow from the return pump check it out ... Last if you go topless you have waste all that money for a canopy and lighting. Strong lighting is needed for deeper aquarium or bigger corals that you can't keep in your cube so don't waste money to go topless, plus too much evaporation.
Ok that covers most of my advice , hope you got a good experience with your cube chow and connect fr more info by now:wave:

Basile

Bio balls have been gone since beginning and I removed all sponges...I took out filter cartridge and use carbon infused sponge instead. Have a bag of chemipure in return chamber.

HAAAAAA man you moving too fast! First for cycling you don't need lights shut them off. Put back your balls, and the sponge, they help at first with the cycling, your alges are causing problems. Your cheto is to soon also. no fish for another month . Get rid of that crab he's hungry poor thing,bring him back to the store most give some refund. Stay away from blue leg hermit they are agressive,and kill other cleaning crew members, get scarlett hermit, red leg hermit mexican hermit,and hawaian lef leg hermit, they are peacefull, your other cleaning crew is fine . Shrimp are put after fishes DA. Your fish; only 3 to 4 weeks after all your parameters are at 0.0 YA that long, or it will cost ya! Ya its a great hobby, an expensive one too specially if you rush. While your waiting to put stuff in your tank read book on aquascaping and species of fish. If you get rid of your top you can't have certain fish, who are jumpers. By for now:smack:

Basile

Hey Steve, got my mods done on my cube you gave me pics on Nano.com Will add pics soon my cam is shot right now, but the mod works good. Hope we can help are friend here. I gave him the address where your mods are shown . by for now:time:

Thanks Basile. I will look around, I have been on a few Biocube mod threads on other boards. I am still hesitant to use my tap water, maybe yours is better in Canada haha.

What's up Jeff? Haven't heard from you in a while...any new tank pics?

I've gotta clean my tank too. I got a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater brewing from yesterday. It's sitting on the kitchen table, which I just know my wife loves..:flame: My glass is just covered in algae. I need to pick up some more snails. I think my clean-up crew has slowly dwindled to near nothing. I know I have a supply of the nassirius snails, but the other ones just slowly disappear.

I picked up 1 emerald crab and 1 peppermint shrimp yesterday..all I could afford..:waa: I am hoping the shrimp takes care of all those little aptasias starting to pop up everywhere. I've got some Joe's juice but I hate how it kills and/or hurts the surrounding zoos and palys. Figured I go the natural route until it proves to be futile.

Get picture snapping so I can see an update of your tank.

Steve

Hahah...I couldn't get my Nitrates down enough to add anything new so I am trying a massive water change and see what happens...I still have the evil, yet cute hermit crab that I probably have to find a foster home for lol. Once all my readings are leveled out, then I will worry about getting rid of him and getting some real leaving things...checking out hermits and snails is killing me! haha

It has been a while...but you know I'm a little superstitious with taking pics of living things (don't ask LOL). Excuse the photo quality, it's via the iPhone
FTS while everything is waking up
2972251082_b30133f1c4.jpg

Side shot the other day with just actinics.
2972251086_0bab3f12f9.jpg

nice looking tank you got there brother.

here's a few pics of what mine looks like as of today.

FTS
fishtankinoctober002.jpg

L/S shot
fishtankinoctober003.jpg

R/S shot
fishtankinoctober004.jpg

I finally got my xenia to attach to the back wall.

fishtankinoctober005.jpg

Steve

Look at you Steve...sneaking the hippo tang in there :). Did you move the clown to your wife's BC? Nice wrasse too man! I'm taking it totally slow on actual fish for now and stocking up on polyps and such. Do you use a quarantine tank? i don't have one, nor room for it, but it seems to be a "recommended" thing.

No quarrantine tank for me. I don't have enough room in my small ranch home with a wife and 3 kids to have extra equipment laying around like that. Plus, I wouldn't have the patience to buy something and stick it into a Q-tank, I'd always toss it right into the main display. That's just me.

The little hippo is growing quick so he'll be going to another reefer or LFS fairly soon. Hopefully get something nice in trade. Besides the 6-line wrasse and hippo, all that's left is a chromis, 2 yellow watchmen gobies and a diamond goby. Picked up a nice blood shrimp last weekend to go along with my cleaner shrimp and peppermints and my pistol shrimp is still alive and kicking digging the heck out of my sand base.

I've got a nice frag of kenya tree that broke off the parent piece showing in the front. I glued it to a piece of rock and figure it should be good to go to a new reefer on one of these sites for free this week.

Keep up the good work on your tank. You gotta get it rolling with corals so you can start trading with other reefers, it's alot of fun. I just traded another frag of that kenya along with some zoos to a fellow reefer, got 2 of those little mini bubble tip anenomes and a small frag of pocillpara<--bad spelling!!

Steve

Steve