powerhead positioning with wavemaker

pkmk

Looking to use a Hydor WaveMaker 2 with two PHs. They'll alternate the PHs from 2 seconds to 6 hours and can adjust the flow strength, too.

Flow is trickier than shooting billiards with a blindfold on. Any suggestions on where in the tank to put them, where to direct (bank?) the flow? Time periods?

Lots of specifics could follow, but I wanted to get the general picture.

Thanks, in advance.

Really depends on the tank, rockwork and coral placement. But in general you want to bounce it of the glass if using power heads to get a more diffused random flow

BigJay

silverwolf is spot on. Don't be afraid to move them either. There is no hard and fast rule on where to put powerheads. Some people will put the two PH's on opposite ends of the tank with a wavemaker but even that may not be the best place. Sometimes stacked with one shooting high and the other shooting low is better. The biggest thing you want to see is that you don't have dead spots. If one power head is leaving a dead spot make sure when the other kicks on that it hits that spot.
I use 3 PH's and a dual outlet on my return in my tank and they are all stacked on one side but they all shoot in a different direction but most bounce off the front of the tank. But I have a bowfront so that makes a good circular flow.
I found a good way to test it was to float a piece of ulva in the tank and watch to see where it goes and if it settles anywhere. A piece of nori or small piece of lettuce should suffice. I like to see that it moves around the tank completely and goes in and out of rocks but never touches the bottom of the tank.

Witfull

I found a good way to test it was to float a piece of ulva in the tank and watch to see where it goes and if it settles anywhere. A piece of nori or small piece of lettuce should suffice. I like to see that it moves around the tank completely and goes in and out of rocks but never touches the bottom of the tank.
it would never touch the bottom in my tank,,,,it would be devoured in less than 3 seconds,,,LOL

pkmk

THANKS, ALL Re: powerhead positioning with wavemaker

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a real confidence booster and a lot of help.