Power outage!

DUCKSTER

Hey guys. I was wondering what folks are using as a backup power source in case of a power outage. I don't have a built in home generator. Any suggestions.
Thanks, RS ROCKS!!:hug1::clink:

DaveK

In my area I've never lost power for more than about 6 hours. Famous last words, I know.

For an emergency the might span a few days, I have several battery operated air pumps. They need a new battery every 12 to 24 hours. That would keep me going a few days. Beyond that, I'm stuck.

In my opinion those small UPS systems, like you might put on a computer to give you some time to shut down will not provide anywhere near the required power to run even basic pumps on a reef system. A backup generator is ideal, but that's going to need fuel, and it can go through quite a bit. Also, my condo association would never let me install one outside, so that just about settles that issue for me.

reefer gladness

I can see a smallish battery backup being okay to keep a couple circulation pumps going for a few hours, after that we really have no way to re-charge the backup. Lights can be turned off to save electricity but then the question turns to keeping temps stable.

Depending on the size of the tank and the budget one of those quiet Honda generators would be nice to have in the garage. In a pinch I'd head down to Home Depot and rent a generator.

Newjack

everything can be off for a while without damage except for circulation. So as DaveK says get some battery powered air pumps or as I have.. a 12 volt water pump. When the power goes out I get a car battery and hook it up with a voltage meter on it. We are in tornado area so it happens a lot. When the voltage gets to low I can charge it with the car. last a few hours on a charge.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I have a portable small 3kv genny that has saved my bacon in the last six months when I lost power for at least 2days. For small interruptions I have a battery back up on my mp's to provide a bit of flow and most importantly surface agitation for gas exchange.

I worry like hell when I'm working away though, as its a mission to get the genny out from under the stairs, go get petrol, fill it up and pull the cord whilst getting thing on choke to start. I know my other half would try, but its a big ask. That's why I worry.

It reminds me I need to run it up for ten minutes to keep it in check.

Newjack

the only thing I don't agree by that method is you loose a lot of power in the inverter and you cant ground it inside your house very well. unless you want to run a wire outside and wrap it around something metal. If you do use this just please make sure it has a inline fuse for safty.. on the battery end.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
One reason why I like the overpriced ecotech items is because if the battery back up. I can run the lights and pumps with them at lower ratings. Past that I've got a new genny in the garage, looking for a reason to fire it up! But as stated, I would run it intermittently, enough to heat the tank and charge the bbu. Best low cost item is the battery operate air pumps, great little devices and batteries can be purchased ahead of time.

reefle

UPCs won't supply the power you need for a longer power outage like 3+ hours if you need several things on (unless you get the huge ones, but that will end up costing almost as much as a new tank)

Generators are nice, but you have to have it running outside. the fumes will end up being toxic to you and your fish.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
UPCs won't supply the power you need for a longer power outage like 3+ hours if you need several things on (unless you get the huge ones, but that will end up costing almost as much as a new tank)

Generators are nice, but you have to have it running outside. the fumes will end up being toxic to you and your fish.

Yes I had mine under the stairs for storage only. People steal them, so for me its value is the fact i always know where it is. But I do have to drag it outside.

Another plus for a genny is if you can get a decent electrician to hook you up a proper generator socket and changeover switch, you can us it to lightly power you home for things like boiler controls and lighting as well as the tank. That does cause all the neighbours to come over though and ask you how come your supply on and there's is not! Lol

Steve L

You can go at least a couple of days without lights and filtration, but a major change in temperature is the thing that can kill things quickly. In the winter you can fill platic 2 liter bottles with hot water and float them in the tank to help keep things warm, and in the summer you can float bottles with ice water to cool things off.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

My Electricity has been OFF for 14 hours and I still don't know when it will be restored.
I know it should be considered a minor inconvenience as there are other areas of OK & AR that lost lives & property in yesterday's tornadic storms.
I'm thankful for the generator that's keeping all my pumps & lights on right now.

I hope Glenn (nanoreefing4fun) & John Whippetguy (both near Little Rock, AR) and everyone else is safe & still has power to run their tanks.
It is best to have a back-up plan, lots of life at stake in our tank with no power.

DaveK

You can go at least a couple of days without lights and filtration, but a major change in temperature is the thing that can kill things quickly. In the winter you can fill platic 2 liter bottles with hot water and float them in the tank to help keep things warm, and in the summer you can float bottles with ice water to cool things off.

Two days with out filtration will turn most reef tanks into a tank of very dead livestock. The water circulation is almost an absolute requirement for a reef system. It need not be everything you have, but you'll need at least some circulation just to get adequate gas exchange.

If you have a tank that is way understocked, you might get away with no power for a couple of days, and I'd also say that you were very very lucky.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I waited about an hour before I went out to the car barn to drag out the generator last night.
I'm glad I did because the power was off for 20 hours.
I would have been more stressed out than my tank :tears:
Some things WE CAN control if we have a plan in place.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mobile-P...u=203751005&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

I have 2 of these... One in each car for back up. I used the outlets for several hours on small items. hopefully both will keep me going for a day. Plus a APC 700VA Power-saving Back UPS - 8 Outlets, 420 Watts, 120V Input & Output, 340 Joules
Doesnt seem like much but should run my heater and wave makers for a while. I figured I could charge one/two while the others running.

Akshay

Power outages are my panic button.
Have lost fish to em (this was when I was not in town) but recently lost a milli to it... thankfully they happen about once or twice a yr and rarely exceed 30-60mins max.

The crooked thing about them though, the moment I get everything in place to start the backup...the freaking power comes back on.