Power compacts and corals

I have a 55 gal reef that I ultimately want to grow alot of LPS in and possibly an rta in the future. I currently have 130 w PC. My frogspawn seems to be doing well 5 in below the fixture. If I upgrade to 260 w PC will it be strong enough for alot of LPS, or should I supplement with a smaller 108 w T5?

squiers007

I would go T5, its going to cost you about the same and will enable you to keep your LPS corals no problem. The watts are not a true indication of how much lights your corals are getting the real value you want to be concerned with is PAR, and T5 have a lot higher PAR value than PC's do.

DrHank

I agree. If you want to grow LPS, you will need more PAR than PCs are capable of providing. T5s are an excellent choice. You could also use MH but you need to bear in mind that MH will use more electricity and most bulbs will not last anywhere near as long as T5s. They will also generate considerably more heat.

Thank you for the guidance. I had no idea about PAR. Cost is the main factor here and I won't be going MH. T5 will be possible tho. This explains why my finger leather has not noticeably grown in about 6 months.

funkpolice

make sure you get a good t5 fixture if you get one. The reflectors are very important, you need individual reflectors for each bulb. I saw a huge difference when I upgraded from pc to t5, good luck.
bill

smkndrgn142

I've been using PCs on my 55 for a while now...292 watts. My hammer, mushrooms and polyps have been doing quite well, I think most LOW to MODERATE light corals will. However, most of the really neat stuff needs more light, that's why I'm saving for some T5s.