Powder Brown Tang or Yellow Tang

• Powder Brown

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lcstorc

I really don't have an opinion on the two fish but since I just read your ich thread you need to take the time now to irradicate the parasite before even thinking about adding more livestock.

sneaks03

It is not for my tank, for my fiancee's aunt! She is wanting to add another fish to her 125g and asked if I knew anything about either of them. Thanks for the concern though! I guess I should have specified that, sorry for the lack of info.

DrHank

I voted Yellow. This is without knowing anything about her tank or her experience. Simply put, tangs of the Zebrasoma family are generally easier to keep than a powder brown. The caveat is that she should not have more than two tangs maximum (one is better) and she should not have more than one from the same family.

sneaks03

She has 2 clowns and that is it for now and only wants one tang, which is good. I have heard though that the yellow tang is a little more bullying, is this true? It is definitely the first I have heard of that.

DrHank

If she has two tangs now, I would not recommend another. All tangs have the ability to be bullies. They also tend to develop Ick if stressed. That's why many call them Ick Magnets. Their behavior can become very aggressive if they feel that their territory is being encroached on. They also claim a lot of territory. That is why you are best with fewer. I have an 8' long 200 gallon tank with a Purple and a Kole and I would not add more than one more tang. I may not even do that.

sneaks03

No I goofed on my last post. Did not mean clown tang meant ocillaris clownfish. Sorry for the misleading info. Her tank is 75g she is new to SW hobby and the clownfish are her only inhabitants besides a CUC whch I am not sure what it consists of.

DrHank

I would recommend that she take her time and research all of her possible choices. Tang's are best added toward the end of the stocking. Unless she's considering something more aggressive, her tang would be a good last fish to add. Now would be a good time to consider a blenny or goby. Best to have something to cover the top with, they can be jumpers.

zy112

If I was picking, I would go Powder Brown easy. Yellows are really cool, but you see them everywhere. IMO powder browns are equally impressive. I agree with everyone elses concerns about the current system though

sneaks03

Well we went to the LFS today and ended up getting a Powder Brown. This was mainly due to them being out of the Yellows, but she said she would rather have the Powder Brown anyway. So thanks for your input guys!