Powder Blue Tang vs. Melanurus Wrasse

bNewman

A 3" melanarus wrasse jumped from an acclimation box after a day when I left the cover off. In the 120g tank that it jumped into is a 2" PBT that continuously chases the wrasse back into hiding when/if it comes out. The tang has been in the tank for about 2 months along with a yellow tang(added the same day) and pair of 1.5' ocellaris clowns. Will the PBT eventually stop harassing the larger wrasse, or is it more likely that it'll just starve to death underground?

Could moving some of the rocks around at night confuse them all enough to "re-acclimate"?

Willie McDaries

I would definitely try moving the rock around,when I added my PB tang to my tank,my yellow tang harassed the PB for a few days,even left a nasty cut down it's side,the PB didn't back down either,they have a lot of attitude,but after a re-scape they settled down and now are best buds and the PB healed up beautifully...hope you can get yours to settle down too,good luck

kathywithbirds

It might also help if you remove the PB THEN rearrange and give it a few days for the wrasse to settle in. Then put the tang back and see if that works.

bNewman

I can't catch the bully. If I do, there's no need to move anything around in the tank. How can I catch it?

kathywithbirds

Got a fish trap? Might take you a while for the fishies to get used to it but it worked for those hard-to-catch fish. My yellow tang LOVED that trap, he wouldn't get out of it.

bNewman

-update-
Before this afternoon, I'd see the wrasse pop out occasionally, for just a moment, then chased quickly back into the rockwork, but does not seem hurt. When I check the tank now, I can see it wedged between two rocks looking at me. It comes out every few minutes until its chased back, but I think it's learned that the tang can't fit through all the gaps. I think that any screams should turn to laughs shortly.

tommyboynj

Hope this works out. The Melanurus is a great fish. Mine is always on the hunt and is constantly surveying the live rock for critters. They do spoke occasionally. Do you havE plenty of sand? They really like to burrow when freaked out.